Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 17, 2009, 4:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
checked out photozone, no where does it show the new sigma 18-250 lens

Dave
Here is a review of the Sigma.http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/...-f35-63-d.html
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
thanks for that info
do you think this sigma iq would be better or the same as the tamron equilivant
does the hsm give a plus to the sigma

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; Jul 18, 2009 at 12:46 AM.
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:41 PM   #13

I apologize, Dave-

I had been told that he Sigma 18-250 mm was soon to be reviewed and on the Photozone website. Thus far, I have not read many reviews lauding Sigma, while we have seen many very positive reviews of the Tamron 18-250 mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:25 PM   #14

I apologize, Dave-

I had been told that he Sigma 18-250 mm was soon to be reviewed and on the Photozone website. Thus far, I have not read many reviews lauding Sigma, while we have seen many very positive reviews of the Tamron 18-250 mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:46 PM   #15

The latest Popular Photography has a favorable review of the Sigma. I do not think the Professional Photographer reviewer (Dawg's link) is familiar with the competition, as he was surprised that a lens could be made that would cover this range. What is needed is a comparison of the lenses by the same person. The lenses reviewed are the vibration reduction version of the lens (as made for Canon and Nikon), which were the first released. The later Pentax and Sony versions may lack that feature as vibration reduction is in the bodies. How that difference might affect the optical performance - if at all - I do not know. The Tamron and Pentax lenses have an established reputation, while the Sigma is too new to have users with practical experience with it to report on it. And the Sigma is not an EX lens, and so is not in the top of their line, but it does have a hypersonic focusing motor, and so should be faster focusing.

Last edited by penolta; Jul 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I apologize, Dave-

Sarah Joyce
Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
The latest Popular Photography has a favorable review of the Sigma. I do not think the Professional Photographer reviewer (Dawg's link) is familiar with the competition, as he was surprised that a lens could be made that would cover this range. What is needed is a comparison of the lenses by the same person. The lenses reviewed are the vibration reduction version of the lens (as made for Canon and Nikon), which were the first released. The later Pentax and Sony versions may lack that feature as vibration reduction is in the bodies. How that difference might affect the optical performance - if at all - I do not know. The Tamron and Pentax lenses have an established reputation, while the Sigma is too new to have users with practical experience with it to report on it. And the Sigma is not an EX lens, and so is not in the top of their line, but it does have a hypersonic focusing motor, and so should be faster focusing.
thanks, there is very little reviews on this lens, as it's only 6 mounts old.
as far as IS you have to turn off either the camera IS or the lens IS, they cannot be used together. sigma claims their own has an advantage over the body's IS
- as in the viewfinder you wont see the camera shake as much
- hsm suppose to be a +
- as sigma brought out this lens 3 years after tamron who has had a great reviews on their lens, and sigma is well aware their lens is to compete with the tamron's IQ, i pulled the plug on this lens this weekend hoping that even if sigma is equal in IQ of tamron, at least i would have the + of the HSM .
i will give my personal review, dont expect too much, i am not a professional photographer, but i do take an average of at least 100 pictures a YEAR. but you will have to wait for a while as i wont see it till my baby princess comes home in mid august, who already is in hand of my new K7, and has assured me its better than her K10 that she inherited when i got the K20, and she is so looking foward to inheriting the K20D with the 16050 and 50-135, as i now have the K7. so you see, i technically convinced my wife that i did not waste my money by upgrading, i am recycling and to top it off a bit, i also took the sigma 30/1.4 for low light situtations.

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:37 PM   #17
Administrator

Here's a review of the Sigma 18-250mm.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1242/cat/31
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote