Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 17, 2009, 2:23 PM   #1

Default Plea to Pentax for Standard Prime Lens

I've kept my LBA reasonably under control since becoming a Pentaxian. The DA* 16-50mm and 50-135mm f/2.8 lenses I bought with my K200D serve most of my needs very well. I have since added the DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 lens and I just bought my friend's DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 lens at a very friendly price for vacations/special circumstances after a successful try-out at a Mets-Phillies game.

There are only three lenses left on my wish list: The Pentax 12-24mm f/4, the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 and a fast prime lens that would give me roughly a 50mm equivalent view. The first two seem doable over the next year or so. But unless I buy a Sigma, I may be out of luck on the prime lens front.

The street price for the legendary FA 31mm Limited is now about $1000. The value classic FA 35mm f/2.0 has been discontinued and availability on the used market is not what I would call great. It seems plans for a DA* 31mm lens have been either delayed or cancelled. The 35mm macro f/2.8 is a great lens, but my zooms are already f/2.8 and I'd like something at f/2.0 or faster. Of course, there is still the solid, venerable FA 50mm f/1.4 lens at $250 - which would be perfect if it were a 30-35mm lens.

That leaves only Sigma's 31mm f/1.4 at about $400 - especially if I want to buy new. Come on Pentax, let's take a break from the pancakes for a bit and come up with an affordable, fast prime lens with a 50mm eqivalent view on APS-C cameras. I'm sure I am far from the only Pentaxian with this desire. Unless you want me to buy the Sigma, of course...
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:36 PM   #2

Hi Biro,

I'd set ny sights on the 31 Ltd. If Pentax continues with the what seems to be their current plan, to make APS-C FOV equivalents to the most popular 35mm film lenses, I see it as unlikely that they have anything like what you want in their plan. The FA Ltds are probably going to be discontinued, if they haven't already been, and as you stated -- the FA 31 Ltd is a lengendary lens -- touted as one of the best, if not the best ever manufactured. Prices are likely to only go higher. . .

Note that the DA Ltds are slower than their FA counterparts -- I think that Pentax is allowing for the much higher ISO levels available in digital bodies as opposed to film for low light level shooters, and are designing lenses with smaller size and lighter weight trumping lens speed in importance. Add the significant improvements in low light AF sensitivity in the K2000 and K7, and I think the path is reasonably clear.

Of course, I could be wrong, but they've made the 16-50 and 50-135 in lieu of the film standard 28-70 and 70-200 and the newly designed 35 macro instead of a 200 macro where they already had two super premium optical designs down pat from the A*200 and FA*200 macros.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 4:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I've kept my LBA reasonably under control since becoming a Pentaxian. The DA* 16-50mm and 50-135mm f/2.8 lenses I bought with my K200D serve most of my needs very well. I have since added the DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 lens and I just bought my friend's DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 lens at a very friendly price for vacations/special circumstances after a successful try-out at a Mets-Phillies game.

There are only three lenses left on my wish list: The Pentax 12-24mm f/4, the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 and a fast prime lens that would give me roughly a 50mm equivalent view. The first two seem doable over the next year or so. But unless I buy a Sigma, I may be out of luck on the prime lens front.

The street price for the legendary FA 31mm Limited is now about $1000. The value classic FA 35mm f/2.0 has been discontinued and availability on the used market is not what I would call great. It seems plans for a DA* 31mm lens have been either delayed or cancelled. The 35mm macro f/2.8 is a great lens, but my zooms are already f/2.8 and I'd like something at f/2.0 or faster. Of course, there is still the solid, venerable FA 50mm f/1.4 lens at $250 - which would be perfect if it were a 30-35mm lens.

That leaves only Sigma's 31mm f/1.4 at about $400 - especially if I want to buy new. Come on Pentax, let's take a break from the pancakes for a bit and come up with an affordable, fast prime lens with a 50mm eqivalent view on APS-C cameras. I'm sure I am far from the only Pentaxian with this desire. Unless you want me to buy the Sigma, of course...
I think Pentax lens line up is pretty strong except in the range 135mm and above 300mm. FA31mm, FA35 and DA40 are all quite capable indeed. No clue how you can discount them all the same time as I consider all of them great standard prime lenses.

I have F50mmF1.7 for that I paid around $100. Also M and A50mm1.4 or 1.7 are very capable and undisputedly inexpensive indeed. There is not much dispute that the DA55mm is very strong contender as well These are alternatives that satisfy a lot of requirement and budget consideration.

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Jul 18, 2009 at 4:45 PM.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:48 AM   #4

BIRO,
you can't go wrong getting the FA50/1.4.
it's one of best lenses pentax made..
at 200usd it's more than reasonable..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote