Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:44 PM   #1

Default Recommend telephoto zoom to supplement my 50-200mm

For travel, what is a good mid-long range zoom to supplement my 50-200 Pentax?

I understand I should get at least 400mm on the long end since there wouldn't be enough difference between my existing 200mm and a 300mm to justify the additional X hundred dollars.

Even if I had the money, I don't think the Bigma would be appropriate for travel (as a carry around) - although very nice to have.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
For travel, what is a good mid-long range zoom to supplement my 50-200 Pentax?

I understand I should get at least 400mm on the long end since there wouldn't be enough difference between my existing 200mm and a 300mm to justify the additional X hundred dollars.

Even if I had the money, I don't think the Bigma would be appropriate for travel (as a carry around) - although very nice to have.
I have both the 50-200 and the 55-300. There is a drastic improvement with the DA 55-300 It does make a big difference-using the APS ratio you are going from 300 to 450 that's a 50% increase in reach and it is light enough to carry around all day.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:17 PM   #3

There aren't many options for a lens that goes to 400mm in Pentax mount. Do you really need something that long? The only time I find I want something longer than 300mm is when I'm trying to shoot birds, but for normal travel, 300 is as long as I want. Since you already have the 50-200, I would recommend you think about getting one of the 300mm prime lenses. If you don't mind manual focus, see if you can find an A*300 - they are fairly small and light compared to the DA*300 or FA*300. It's an excellent lens, very sharp and would compliment the 50-200, rather than replacing it with the DA 55-300.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:56 PM   #4

You might want to consider the Pentax 18-250 mm lens, which effectively takes you out to 375mm, in 35mm terms. It is not a fast lens, but it has a secondary advantage of being a great all in one/single lens solution for a great travel lens. That is a hard to ignore advantage.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote