Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:32 PM   #1

Default Tokina 80 - 400mm Work Stoppage

This Tokina is one of my most used lenses for wildlife, it is the most compact 400mm I have seen, and it can no longer be purchased for Pentax cameras. I bought this one as New Old Stock about three years ago for $385.00, a bargain to me. The inner barrel started shifting internally when I put on or removed the lens shade. At first I was able to twist it back and all worked fine. Over the 4th weekend it started not zooming or not allowing the full focus range no matter what position I put it in.

I looked up Tokina on line (THK Photo Products) and sent an email on Sunday. Monday I received an email saying I could send the lens to THK Photo Products, 7642 Woodwind Drive, Huntington Beach, CA 92647 for a repair estimate. Monday afternoon I sent the lens priority Mail and it arrived on Wednesday. Thursday I received an email with an estimte of $115.00 ($105 labor, $10 shipping). I called the 800 number and was informed they give a 6 month warranty on repairs. Of course I gave them the go ahead.

I will post the results when the lens is returned. So far THK has been very responsive.

Ed

Some photos taken with this lens.
Attached Images

Last edited by snooked; Jul 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM.
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2009, 9:07 PM   #2

Doesn't sound like a lot of money to have your fav lens back to square one, cool.
Simon.
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:29 PM   #3

Did they say how long it would take? That address is not far from me. If they delay too long, let me know and I'll go over and give them a nudge.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:49 PM   #4

i have always loved the egrets and herons..
thanks
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 3:47 PM   #5

Default Got Lens Back Today

It works great here at home. Has been cleaned upand repaired. Hope to test tomorrow in the field.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote