Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:42 AM   #11

Yes JohnG is really right.

Also I add that in general very often you can't use flash in any indoor event ... (not only sport event ... ).
alexfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfoto View Post
Yes JohnG is really right.

Also I add that in general very often you can't use flash in any indoor event ... (not only sport event ... ).
Actually to clarify my comments: I was specifically talking about volleyball. To elaborate:

Volleyball: Flash usually not allowed
Gymnastics: Flash never allowed
Swimming: Flash not allowed during start but allowed during the heat after start (at least from professionals - they may restrict parents in the stands)
Basketball: Flash usually allowed
Wrestling: Flash usually allowed (and I highly recommend it for wrestling)

For plays / recitals it really depends. You'll get a mixed bag.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:57 AM   #13

Yes JohnG I understand I wanted to point out (with much regret ) that unfortunately there are many circumstances in which the use of flash is not allowed.
Even in event where the use of the flash would not bother often you can't use it.
alexfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:36 AM   #14

If you find you want a faster lens further down the road, take a look at the FA 77 Limited. It's f1.8 and a brilliant lens, good if you can get close enough. It's one of my favorite lenses, but it's a prime, not very long and so somewhat limited. But it's one of those lenses that has that something special - can't define it. In your case, the two zooms are the better choice to start out with, I think.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:15 AM   #15

JohnG-No need to clarify on the use of flash. I have no intentions of using a flash. So no worries.

Paul-No need to temper my expectations. My expectations aren't very high. I'm just looking forward to getting the 50-135 and seeing what I get. And I am looking forward to using it for several other opportunities aside from Volleyball. I may look into the prime lens you mentioned or the one that mtngal mentioned at some point when the budget allows. Although checking prices mtngal's suggested lens will be out of range for a bit. And I appreciate your input on the settings on the K20. I will be interested to hear of your results when you get a chance to try the K7 on some indoor stuff compared to the K20.
thelittlecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:56 PM   #16

I remembered tonight that I had a set of volleyball photos taken with the K20 and the DA*50-135. These were not taken in our gym, so I was up on a stage about ten feet back from the court, and the lighting was much better than our "cave." Settings I had on this shot...ISO 3200, f/3.2, shutter 1/400, focal length 88mm. Shooting in Av mode (as I do for all sports)

If you want to look at the gallery from this match, here's the link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trojans...7607805403782/

I thought you might be interested in seeing a couple of photos in another indoor setting with the K20/DA*50-135 combo. These were taken during a high school production of "The Wiz."

Shot #1...63mm, f/2.8, 1/200, ISO 1250

Shot #2......123mm, f/2.8, 1/500, ISO 2500

Thought you might be interested in seeing just how strong this combo can be.

Paul

Just a note on another subject in this thread: I have seen flash used on volleyball without coaches or referees saying anything, but I have always taken the position that I didn't want to take a chance on a flash in a player's eyes, so I never use it for volleyball. The stage shots were obviously taken without flash since they were in a performance.

Last edited by Trojansoc; Aug 11, 2009 at 11:00 PM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:56 PM   #17

Thank you VERY much Paul for sharing these photos! I did look through the gallery also. It gives me hope that all might not be completely lost this season as far as photos go.

As for the flash topic...I have seen a couple of parents take one or two photos with a flash. And the newspaper guys and gals usually fire off a few photos with their flash and no one has ever complained. But I am with you in that I don't want to take a chance so I'll skip the flash.

Thank you again Paul!
thelittlecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 4:03 PM   #18

Trojansoc, I'm an ameteur in a similar environment and am curious of any suggestions you may have. I shoot grade school indoor volleyball without flash with a k10d and FA50/1.4 next to referee near the net. I set white balance for flourescent lights, iso 800, set Apereture Priority and manually adjust to 1.4. I also set continuous shooting mode. This works OK but many pictures out of focus. Focus favors background even though focus lock centers on player. I sometimes shoot with manual focus on center of net and this helps. I'm wondering if the k10d autofocus is just too slow or depth if field to small or subject is too small in frame or something else. Any thoughs or suggestions for getting better autofocus or other improvements in this scenario? I have an example with exif data at http://czexan.net/vball.jpg
Thanks,
Dale Sykora
dalesyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesyk View Post
I shoot grade school indoor volleyball without flash with a k10d and FA50/1.4 next to referee near the net. I set white balance for flourescent lights, iso 800, set Apereture Priority and manually adjust to 1.4. I also set continuous shooting mode. This works OK but many pictures out of focus. Focus favors background even though focus lock centers on player. I sometimes shoot with manual focus on center of net and this helps. I'm wondering if the k10d autofocus is just too slow or depth if field to small or subject is too small in frame or something else. Any thoughs or suggestions for getting better autofocus or other improvements in this scenario?
Thanks,
Dale Sykora

Dale, I looked at the shot you posted, then I went back into my files and looked at some of my shots with the same combo of the K10 and the FA-50. Here are a couple of examples.

Each of these was taken at the sideline...the first up the line about 12-15 feet and the second at the base of the net next to the referee. Each is cropped, but not to an extreme degree. Each shot was at f/1.4. I used manual exposure and took several test shots during warm-ups to get my light as best as I could in a poorly-lit gym. I wound up using 1/500 sec on the first and 1/400 on the second. Autofocus was used on all shots, and I shot at ISO 1600 on all, reasoning that I would rather have a little noise that I could clean up with Noiseware rather than not having enough light.

The K10d does not have rapid autofocus, and the depth of field at f/1.4 is razor-thin. To get good focus, you just about have to limit yourself to the area directly in front of you and focus for the face or the upper chest. It's going to be hard to get a good shot at the distance of the one you posted simply because your subject matter takes up such a small percentage of the frame. You don't say whether you were using center-point focusing. If not, that will make a tremendous difference since you choose the focus point instead of the camera guessing in multi-point.

I have not yet shot any volleyball with the K-7, but the autofocus speed is greatly improved on it, and I suspect the percentage of well-focused shots would go up dramatically.

I hope this is of help to you.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 6:38 PM   #20

It's a good lens.

But it wont work with the Sigma teleconverters.

Plus the word i am getting from the shop i got/returned the (wont work TCs) teleconverter to. Told me that the Australian importer of Pentax and Sigma, CR Kennedy, said that this lens (APO 70-200mmf2.8 ll EX DG MACRO HSM.) is being scrapped, all 70-200mmf2.8 versions to date for PENTAX, will be scrapped, and a "NEW VERSION" will be released soon ??

So it will work with their teleconverters. So if you are like me, and were told that your lens will work with the TC. We will have to purchase a new 70-20mmf2.8 lens to use the teleconverters.

Piss bloody poor effort Sigma...

Last edited by Craig66; Oct 16, 2009 at 7:38 PM.
Craig66 is offline   Reply With Quote