Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:17 PM   #1

Default 70-300

tokina or sigma apo or tamron

Last edited by robar; Aug 10, 2009 at 9:19 PM.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2

It's always seemed to me that the Tamron produces better comparison shots than the Sigma APO. Biggest problem is purple fringing. I haven't seen the Tokina compared to the others. I ended up choosing the Pentax 55-300 as it seemed to be about as sharp as the Tamron and without the purple fringing. The Sigma, even the APO version, seems a little softer. I probably shouldn't voice an opinion, since I've never actually handled either the Sigma or the Tamron, have only compared pictures on-line that others have posted.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:11 PM   #3

I could just about paste Harriet's reply, except for the part about the 55-300. I own the Tamron, and I've been pleased with its performance. I have never touched the Sigma or Tokina versions, but I've seen the same comments about the Sigma's softness.

I have had problems with purple fringing in certain shooting conditions with the Tamron, particularly shooting up into a gray sky. (tree branches, etc.)
However, I have found the Tamron a very useful lens. A few examples with it from my recent trip to Hawaii.

Like I say, Roy, I know only the Tamron, but I consider it, dollar for dollar, one of the most useful lenses I own.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:39 AM   #4

I had a Tamron and other than a lot of auto focus noise (sounded like a coffee grinder to me) it took great photos. The difference in PF or CA is the Sigma's goes more towards blue and the Tamron's to red. I would not mind shooting with either really. But given a choice of just these two the Tamron would probably get the nod. (Heck...I like Coffee).
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:08 PM   #5

still looking..
I've got the 300 range in tamron ,K, M42 but I'd like to have AF in a 300mm lens..
suggestions !!??. i'm looking for 300mm/AF
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:55 PM   #6

if the sigma, is the apo that much difference
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:15 PM   #7

how about the
PENTAX SMC FA J 75-300mm f4.5-5.8 AL
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:10 PM   #8

I have the 70-300mm Tamron Di. This sample shows the PF CA on the concrete angel's face. I can't compare to Sigma APO or Tokina but I like this lens (only paid US$139). I have the DA 50-200 also. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but I think overall IQ on the DA 50-200 is better than the Tamron, without the reach, or the macro. I assume the DA 55-300mm is comparable to the 50-200mm so that might be your best bet, again without the macro. Tamron macro can be engaged at FL 180 to 300mm and is quite nice in my opinion.

And another

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
still looking..
I've got the 300 range in tamron ,K, M42 but I'd like to have AF in a 300mm lens..
suggestions !!??. i'm looking for 300mm/AF
Roy, just a clarification...the Tamron to which I referred was the same as the one Jim has, the 70-300mm Di LD Macro, which is an AF lens. I got mine as the second kit lens when I bought my K10, but it's a very inexpensive lens.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 3:24 AM   #10

For cover a similar range on Pentax camera with a "small budget solution" the Pentax 55-300 mm could be a better choice ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
how about the
PENTAX SMC FA J 75-300mm f4.5-5.8 AL
Some example shoot on flickr about SMC Pentax-FA J 75-300mm f4.5-5.8
Unfortunately this model hasn't Low dispersion lens element ... (ED)
SMC Pentax-FA J 75-300mm F4.5-5.8 AL (review by some users)

Sincerely I have the same problem regarding cover this focal range ... I would like a Pentax 55-300 mm but i haven't the money and also in Italy everything cost much more then in USA.

So in the end i don't known if i will buy a more shoort solution that will covered only 200 mm (300 mm equivalent ...).
alexfoto is offline   Reply With Quote