Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Default Vivitar 24mm f2.8 $79 Gem?

Not wanting to spend a ton of money on another prime to complement my Pentax 50mm 1.4, I took a chance on the Vivitar 24mm f2.8 from Adorama for $79. I think that at ISO 3200 on the K2000 it did pretty well in this very low light club. Shot in RAW. Working with a manual lens for the first time was interesting.
Attached Images

Last edited by pboerger; Aug 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:00 PM   #2

That bad, eh. Back to the drawing board.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:40 AM   #3

I purchased the Vivitar 28mm lens on E-Bay for less money and it is not a bad lens for the price. Your sample photo is quite reasonable for that lens at ISO 3200.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:37 AM   #4

Thanks Mt Climber. Found this excellent article on using Pentax manual lenses on the web www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181 and learned a lot. Same club, same lights, different show, K2000, ISO 2500. Much better I think. Following the site's instructions, on the K2000, M mode works just like M mode with the ev button switching between shutter speed and f stop, Av mode has ISO change in the viewfinder when working the back buttons, f stop with the wheel, ev compensation but no shutter speed change.
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:46 PM   #5

Nicely done with that last photo. I have a TX Vivitar 28mm 2.8 lens and really like it. Very good quality there. Vivitar also had a 28mm f/2.5 which is considered slightly better with IQ. I've yet to try one. As you probably have noticed from my many posts, I'm into collecting Vivitar lenses.
My lens....http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...8-tx-lens.html
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:37 PM   #6

I changed the title and first post to accurately reflect the lens. Actually, I'm a little embarrassed to admit it's the 24mm f2.8 that I have, not the 28mm. Now that I have learned how to use it effectively, my editor is amazed at the quality pictures I'm getting and so am I. They use Canon stuff at the newpaper office. After turning in the recent picture above, he emailed me with "How did you get that picture at ISO 2500! It should be blurry and grainy."

Last edited by pboerger; Aug 20, 2009 at 9:44 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Actually, I'm a little embarrassed to admit it's the 24mm f2.8 that I have, not the 28mm. Now that I have learned how to use it effectively, my editor is amazed at the quality pictures I'm getting and so am I. They use Canon stuff at the newpaper office. After turning in the recent picture above, he emailed me with "How did you get that picture at ISO 2500! It should be blurry and grainy."
An even better lens and well worth the price you paid.