Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:47 PM   #1

Default Tokina 80 400mm Returned

From earlier thread, I got this lens back on Thursday working smoother then ever and cleaned up nicely. Well worth the $115.00 charge. Went to Loxahatchee on Friday to try in field. The fist shot is adult male Snail Kite, the secong a great Egret.

Ed

K7, Tokina 80 400mm with Kenko 1.5x TC
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:02 PM   #2

Glad you got yours back OK. You have done a good selling job on this lens - now you are costing me money Given that I have 400 and 500 Minolta mount primes left over from film days, and have the Sigma 135-400 in Pentax mount, I didn't NEED another long lens - you know how that goes. Running two systems is unnecessary, but when you have equipment that doesn't go obsolete, the urge to upgrade is irresistible, and I nailed one of these lenses this morning to use with my a350. It has a tripod collar so it must be the 840 AF-II (the first version had none, and the current AF-D is Canikon only). Given that this version listed at $1100, the $343 tag ($368 w/p&s) looks pretty good. The lens's seller, however, is listed as "no returns accepted," so I have only his 100% feedback rating to go on. The lens comes with case and caps, but no shade, and replacement shades are $40 - however the shade for the 840 D has a wheel that lets you turn a mounted polarizer, which might make it worth it (if it will fit) - a handy feature. The lens is considerably smaller and lighter than the Sigma, so that might cause me more stress (someone pulled one down in Pentax mount on a BIN not long ago, according to the recent sale list, but at well over $500 - which I should be able to resist)!.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:53 PM   #3

Default Good Luck

I have the Sigma 150 500 but it is a load compared to the tokina. I have the first version that has no tripod collar. It still works fine using the camera mount on the tripod, it is that compact. Without the barrel extended it is the same length as the DA 50 135mm.

Your version with tripod mount should have improved internal focus, on mine the barrel turns when focusing. Would make it tough to use with polarizer, but I do not use one with this lens any way.

One was on ebay for with Pentax mount last weer, buy it now for $549.99, it did not sell.

Good luck with it, allows me to carry long lens when I need to go light.

Ed

Last edited by snooked; Aug 16, 2009 at 7:55 PM. Reason: added line
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:58 AM   #4

Hi Ed and penolta,

Congrats on what looks like a successful surgery and recovery!!!

I'd say that $115 is very reasonable to save an old friend, especially if it included a CLA.

I've got the AF II model (with the tripod mt) and I must say that I'd probably prefer the previous model since I've yet to use this lens with a tripod and the ring is not removable (at least not easily. . .).

Ed -- did you use AF with the K-7, 80-400, and the Kenko TC? If so, did this combo AF with your previous bodies? ----- If yes, then this confirms that with the K-7, Pentax has pushed the max aperture that will AF reliably past the f8 limit that the previous bodies (maybe except the K2000) seem to have had.

penolta-- Congrats on the new lens. I'm looking forward to a comparison between the K20/Tokina and the A350/Sigma -- should be interesting. I haven't heard of anyone owning both -- with a still unresolved dispute as to which one was better. Since you'll be using them on different bodies, I guess the argument will remain unresolved, but it'll be interesting nonetheless.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Aug 17, 2009 at 2:00 AM. Reason: added text
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Ed and penolta,

Ed -- did you use AF with the K-7, 80-400, and the Kenko TC? If so, did this combo AF with your previous bodies? ----- If yes, then this confirms that with the K-7, Pentax has pushed the max aperture that will AF reliably past the f8 limit that the previous bodies (maybe except the K2000) seem to have had.

Scott
The tokina auto focuses with the Kenko 1.5x TC and my Promaster 1.7x TC (obviously made by Kenko) on the K7, but also autofocused ao the K20D. Both focus even at 400mm. That is what frustrates me with the DA* 300mm, it will focus with the 1.5x but I have to keep pushing the shutter release half way several times for focus lock. the 300mm will not focus with the 1.7x TC. The Tokina and my Tamron 70 300mm focus with both TC's almost as fast as with no TC attached. Also the HSM focus on my Sigma 150 500mm works with the 1.5x TC, even at f6.3 (a little slower though). Why the SDM is so fussy I do not know. My DA* 50 135mm is slower than the DA* 300mm with the 1.5 TC even with the F2.8. Hope pentax can rectify this discrepancy!

Ed

Last edited by snooked; Aug 17, 2009 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Added info
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
I've got the AF II model (with the tripod mt) and I must say that I'd probably prefer the previous model since I've yet to use this lens with a tripod and the ring is not removable (at least not easily. . .).

penolta-- Congrats on the new lens. I'm looking forward to a comparison between the K20/Tokina and the A350/Sigma -- should be interesting. I haven't heard of anyone owning both -- with a still unresolved dispute as to which one was better. Since you'll be using them on different bodies, I guess the argument will remain unresolved, but it'll be interesting nonetheless.

Scott
Actually, it is the K20/Sigma and a350/Tokina.

I've done some comparison shots - not controlled conditions, but outdoors as I would be using them, so one are exactly comparable, but it is clear that the Tokina is softer wide open (f5.6 @ 400mm). The Sigma can deliver acceptably sharp images right out of the camera wide open (after all it is an APO), with only a touch of sharpening to taste, while the Tokina requires moderate to extreme sharpening; by f8 the Tokina equals the Sigma's wide open performance, and by f11 is tack sharp.

The Tokina is significantly smaller and lighter, and so is a better walk-around lens - the tripod socket is actually a boon for hand held shooting, as I have found it balances nicely on a pistol grip (w/o a remote release cable), which allows me to rest my left upper arm and elbow easily against my body; that in turn adds significantly to my steadiness without adding significantly to the weight. There is just enough finger room behind the pistol grip to let me use the vertical grip in this position (for a quick flip to vertical), although the socket can be rotated so the pistol grip can be used for vertical shooting, too. A very handy arrangement.

Name:  IMGP1176r.jpg
Views: 3564
Size:  51.1 KB

Last edited by penolta; Sep 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote