Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:55 AM   #11

Gday all. Need help.

Been awhile since i have been here. Never seems to be enough time these days.

I got myself a Sigma 70-200mmF2.8 awhile back. when they finaly made them available here in Aussie land.. Great lens...

Anyway yesterday i got a new Sigma APO 2X-DG converter. Now all info i have read, mainly from Sigmas site. Is that the 70-200mmF2.8 will work on AF.

Mine doesn't ? Also it seems to freak out my camera, well both, K10D and K20D do the same weird things when the converter is attached to the Sigma 70-200F2.8 and my Pentax Da-200mF2.8ED-SDM.

When the converter is attached i get no AF,(probly not available with the Pentax200F2.8) But should be with the Sigma 70-200F2.8. But with converter on, i also can not access my main menu, or the fn button. They light up, but go off straight away. Also on any camera setting, the speed and apature settings jump all over the place. They can't seem to get any reading.

Take the converter off. All works fine. This happens on both the K10 and K20..

This has to be a faulty converter ?

Anyone heard of anything like this.

i am trying to replace the converter. Am waiting for the reply from the importer/sales shop.

Last edited by Craig66; Sep 10, 2009 at 2:58 AM.
Craig66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig66 View Post
Gday all. Need help.

Been awhile since i have been here. Never seems to be enough time these days.

I got myself a Sigma 70-200mmF2.8 awhile back. when they finaly made them available here in Aussie land.. Great lens...

Anyway yesterday i got a new Sigma APO 2X-DG converter. Now all info i have read, mainly from Sigmas site. Is that the 70-200mmF2.8 will work on AF.

Mine doesn't ? Also it seems to freak out my camera, well both, K10D and K20D do the same weird things when the converter is attached to the Sigma 70-200F2.8 and my Pentax Da-200mF2.8ED-SDM.

When the converter is attached i get no AF,(probly not available with the Pentax200F2.8) But should be with the Sigma 70-200F2.8. But with converter on, i also can not access my main menu, or the fn button. They light up, but go off straight away. Also on any camera setting, the speed and apature settings jump all over the place. They can't seem to get any reading.

Take the converter off. All works fine. This happens on both the K10 and K20..

This has to be a faulty converter ?

Anyone heard of anything like this.

i am trying to replace the converter. Am waiting for the reply from the importer/sales shop.
I'd send that one back. No reason at all for that to happen! Could damage the camera circuitry.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:17 PM   #13
Administrator

For whatever reason, Sigma has a problem allowing AF using a TC with their HSM lenses on Pentax bodies. With the non-HSM versions, there is no problem with a TC on them. Also see this page on Sigma's site about the compatibility issues (apparently, you can't use a TC with an HSM lens on a Pentax body without losing AF):

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3471
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:38 AM   #14

Quote:

Mine doesn't ?.
Thanks Jim for posting the official link from Sigma and it is confirmed that the Sigma TC2x will not do AF at all. Your only hope is the SDM 1.4 or 1.5x TC from Tamron/Kenko respectively.
Not much has been reported about this combination

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Sep 12, 2009 at 7:06 AM.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:51 PM   #15

Here is a lens matching chart for sigma TC's. The Sigma 1.4X APO EX DG should work with the Sigma 70-200mm APO lens.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/acc/condaitr.htm
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:04 PM   #16
Administrator

It will work with an older [screw drive] version of the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO. But, you'll lose Autofocus if you go to a newer lens version with HSM. That's the problem (you lose Autofocus with an HSM lens if you try to use a Sigma TC with one on a Pentax body).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:09 PM   #17

Going off the info my 70-200 is not a HSM version.

APO Ex DG Macro 2.

I sent the TC back as the shop i got it, DCW and the Aussie importer both tell me i should get AF with the lens. Plus i should be able to access my menus with it attached, and not freakout my shutter speed and aperture.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll let you know what happens with the replacement TC..

Can only find the Sigma TC in Australia.

("SDM 1.4 or 1.5x TC from Tamron/Kenko") Can not find any Aussies selling these versions.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_tele.asp#pentax

Last edited by Craig66; Sep 13, 2009 at 8:15 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 7:44 PM   #18

Well you guys were right.

The TC's wont work with the so called "NEW" APO 70-200mmf2.8 ll EX DG MACRO HSM.

I have tried 2 TC both sent my K20 and K10 weird when attached to camera.

No access to main menu, no access to fn button. Camera settings jump all over the place.

The word i got from the shop, which is the word they got from the Australian Pentax and Sigma importer. CRK. Is that Sigma is scrapping all 70-200mmf2.8 lenses for Pentax, and making a NEW one.. ???

So if you haven't got a Sigma 70-200mmf2.8. and thinking about getting one.. DON'T DO IT......

Anyone else heard about this New 70-200mmf2.8 for Pentax. That will work with their TCs..
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Anyone else heard about this New 70-200mmf2.8 for Pentax. That will work with their TCs..
I have been compiling info on the various TC that works with SDM lenses. Info' provided by a long time member of Photo.net, Dave Hollander: "Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x with the Sigma 70-200mm -new with HSM . The HSM AF works. It really didn't work all that well indoors at night"

There are only two discontinued TCs that works at all with SDM lenses. The other one is Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ. No other TCs works as far as SDM is concerned

Quote:
("SDM 1.4 or 1.5x TC from Tamron/Kenko") Can not find any Aussies selling these versions.
The discontinued SDM compatible TCs can only be obtained from 2nd hand sources like ebay. They are not available new even in N Am or Europe

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Oct 18, 2009 at 9:04 AM.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote