Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 21, 2009, 1:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammer47 View Post
Since my wife will also be using the camera I want auto-focus capability. Am I correct that I need to stay with the above designations?
Thanks to all,
Pentax lenses are among the very best, but you are not restricted to them. Sigma and Tamron have many good ones, many less expensive then the Pentax equivalents -as long as they are designated as AF (autofocus) in Pentax mount,they will work well with the *ist D, but those that have high speed or ultrasonic focusing motors (HSM, etc.) will only work with the mechanical screw focus of the *ist D. You will also be limited in the speed and capacity of the memory cards you can use.

This is a very good camera, by the way - I still have mine - even though it was Pentax's first DSLR, and you will probably out grow it eventually if you really get into digital photography.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by penolta; Aug 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 1:23 PM   #12

Default Too good to be true

Thank you all.
My $35 deal is off.
My PCConnect email this AM states:

Due to an unforeseen problem in data transmission, erroneous pricing appeared on our website for item # 6586612. Our system was unable to process any orders for those products due to those pricing errors and consequently, your order was cancelled as a result and the item has been removed from our website.

We reiterate our apologies for this inconvenience.

Thank you,
Customer Service

Not even a discount on my next order.
Oh well...if it LOOKS like too good a deal, IT PROBABLY IS.

Rammer47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 1:41 PM   #13

Sounds more like PCDisconnect. A reputable firm would have to honor a completed sale for an advertised item (if they really had one or more new ones in the first place, which would be surprising at this date) and absorb the loss. If they gave you another offer, it would have been seen as an obvious bait-and-switch.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 4:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Thank you all.
My $35 deal is off.
My PCConnect email this AM states:

Due to an unforeseen problem in data transmission, erroneous pricing appeared on our website for item # 6586612. Our system was unable to process any orders for those products due to those pricing errors and consequently, your order was cancelled as a result and the item has been removed from our website.

We reiterate our apologies for this inconvenience.

Thank you,
Customer Service

Sorry to hear that. I am not suprised they cancelled the order, heck I would buy one right now if it was for $35.

Not sure how much you where planning to spend on a Pentax dSLR camera but you can get a Factory Refurb K100D for $279.99 at bestbuy.com
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....rchterm=pentax
or a refurb K10D for $399.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218089166763

Last edited by superakuma; Aug 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:28 PM   #15

i was getting ready to search for the seller.. new it was too good to be true..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Thank you all.
My $35 deal is off.

Complete bummer! I would grab another couple for 35 bucks each. Love the camera. The bells and whistles on the newer models don't interest me much.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:57 PM   #17

Just as an FYI, I have an ist Ds, a K100D, a K10D and a K7. I love the K7, really like the K10D, really like the ist Ds, but I'm not that hot on the K100D. It's much noisier than the ist series cameras and doesn't take as many frames per second in my practical experience. I'm just a novice at best and have just recently started trying to actually learn how to use these cameras, but for the money, I don't think you will be able to beat the K10D at the current price. Plus you won't have any lens limitations with the K10D. When/if you're ready, you'll be able to upgrade to the SDM/HSM type lenses (ultrasonic motors). I just recently got my first SDM lens (SDM DA* 200mm F2.8) and I'm really starting to get spoiled by the speedy and quiet focus. It's revolutionary!

Jerry
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote