Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:01 PM   #1

Default Pentax *ist D SLR lense choice

Just purchased a Pentax *ist D SLR body and need a lens or lenses.
I understand it is a "K Mount" body.
What terms should I be using when searching for a lens that will fit this body?
Do all "K Mount" lenses fit this camera?

I am trying to search Steve's site for high rated lenses but am not sure what terms I should be looking for.

Any suggestions for a good zoom in the 28 - 136mm range?
Many thanks,
Rammer47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:43 PM   #2

Here is the Pentax Bible
http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/
Click on the Lens and it will tell you about all the lens that Pentax ever made.

To answer your question, yes all K-mount lens will work. Some will work with some limitation. If you are getting all AF lens you shouldn't have any problem.

Pentax has a 18-250mm lens for about $470 at bhphoto. It is a good all around lens if you don't want to swap lens.

If that camera came with the stock 18-55mm lens you can get the Pentax DA 55-200mm lens for about $200.

If you want to look at 3rd party lens like Sigma and Tamron, they have a large selection of lens to pick from. A good and cheap all around lens that I would recommend would be from Sigma 28-200mm lens. I bought it from ebay for about $100 when I first bought my Pentax DS back in 04. I still use it today on my K20D when I go somewhere that is too troublesome to change lens.

All Pentax DA zoom lens are pretty good. The Pentax FA zoom lens are not that great, only a few are really good and they are really expensive.
If you go with Manual focus lens it opens up a lot more doors on what you can get. There are a lot of "gems" out there just need to know what you are looking for. Stick around this board for a while and you will see what I mean. There are man users on this board that will buy a lens for $50 at the flea market or garage sale and find it to be razor sharp.

Last edited by superakuma; Aug 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:56 PM   #3

Hi Rammer47,

Some good recommendations from Saelee. One other that might be of interest, though not quite the range you mentioned on the long end, the Pentax FA 28-105 f3.2-4.5. It's very small and light (about kit lens size), sharp and contrasty, a bit faster than most consumer zooms, and usually priced between $120-160 USD used (new ones are no longer available AFAIK). I think that most were silver colored -- that was pretty much the only choice when I got mine.

There were two other FA 28-105s, but IIRC, they both had max aperture ranges of f4-5.6, and weren't as good optically as the f3.2-4.5, IMO.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammer47 View Post
What terms should I be using when searching for a lens that will fit this body?
Do all "K Mount" lenses fit this camera?
Welcome to the Friendly Pentax Forum, Rammer. You've got good info from Saelee and Scott, I'll just add on that.
The Pentax lenses with K-mount have different names depending on age and function.

DA: The most recent series, designed for the Pentax DSLRs.
D-FA: Designed for the digital bodies, but also works well with autofocus analog film bodies.
FA: Designed for the analog bodies, but can also be used without any restrictions on the digital ones.
F: Just like the FA series, the differences are of no interest today.
A: Manual focus lenses with electronic aperture control. Work very well on digital bodies. When using a flash there are some less important restrictions, and of course autofocus doesn't work.
M: Manual focus, manual aperture control. Can be used with the digital bodies, but it takes a bit of learning.
K: Just like the M lenses.
M42 screw mount: Can be used on digital, but with restrictions and you need a screw mount/k-mount adapter.

If the name includes a star (DA*, FA*, F*, A* or M*) it's a premium lens of supreme quality optically and mechanically. Unfortunately these lenses also come with an unpleasant price tag.

If you find a lens and have the opportunity to wait a few days before deciding, ask here before you buy. Older lenses (FA and older) are discussed on this page: http://stans-photography.info/

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:50 PM   #5

I have the *ist D, also. I got it with the 18-35mm kit lens, and while it is a pretty good lens, it doesn't cover much range. My most used lens, the one I keep on the camera and only change for specific situations, is a Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8 - 4.5. It isn't a lightweight, and with the battery grip on the camera makes for a considerable load. The lens has been discontinued, but is available used on occasion, and can sometimes be found on e-bay.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 1:30 AM   #6

My first Pentax DSLR, teh *istDS came with a Sigma 18-125mm zomm as the kit lens.

This is reasonable for an everyday walk around lens and I still use it on my K10D
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 5:23 AM   #7

Default Pentax *ist D SLR Lense Advice

Thanks to all! Wonderful advice! Nice to see such an active Forum.
Any other thoughts are welcome.
The body was available yesterday new for $35. @ PCConnection and I could not resist. I have a Spotmatic from 1969 and it still works fine.
Rammer47
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:43 AM   #8

If you get a 42mm screw to k mount adaptor you should be able to use your screw mount lenses from your spotmatic on your *istD
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post

DA: The most recent series, designed for the Pentax DSLRs.
D-FA: Designed for the digital bodies, but also works well with autofocus analog film bodies.
FA: Designed for the analog bodies, but can also be used without any restrictions on the digital ones.

Kjell
Since my wife will also be using the camera I want auto-focus capability. Am I correct that I need to stay with the above designations?
Thanks to all,
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:03 AM   #10

Add to your list the F lenses also - they will AF.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote