Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:14 PM   #1

Default Pentax 10-17 fisheye W/A- opinions please

I'm thinking of gettin a Pentax 10-17 fisheye for use on my K10D and KM. I have seen pictures taken with this lens and although it is a fisheye, it seems to be a mild fisheye.

Which is fine with me, I mostly want a wide angle but also being able to have a bit of fisheye at 10 mm.

Is this lens also a competent wide angle ?

I have 16-45 Pentax and 18-55 wideangle zooms and although I enjoy them, I want something that can be used as a top quality, mild fisheye and an extreme wide angle.

Is the Pentax 10-17 the lens for me ?

How do owners or users find them...quality of picture, etc.

I like to take pix of vintage cars...wide angle is what I like to do with cars.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2009, 7:12 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

At 17mm, it functions more like a ultra wide angle than a fish eye, but since it is a circular fish eye, you may see some curvature on the sides. At 10 mm, it has a 180 degree filed of view. It is a great lens with some very nice effects. It will however show some purple fringing in some instances depending on the source of light. It is definitely a niche lens and fun to use. Here are a couple from mine:

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:03 PM   #3

If you decide to get the lens, wolf camera's ebay id, camera clearance center, has 10 of them for $349. They are an authorized dealer, so you'll have full warranty, but they don't take returns. I recently bought a lense from them and went and picked it up (they are in Fort Worth). I spoke to "Bob" and he was very helpful. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-DA-FI...4.c0.m14.l1262
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
If you decide to get the lens, wolf camera's ebay id, camera clearance center, has 10 of them for $349. They are an authorized dealer, so you'll have full warranty, but they don't take returns. I recently bought a lense from them and went and picked it up (they are in Fort Worth). I spoke to "Bob" and he was very helpful. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-DA-FI...4.c0.m14.l1262
No returns and no Paypal, even though listed on ebay, so no buyer protection whatsoever, Wolf is a Ritz company, so are these unsold lenses from store closings, or are they customer returns? Very strange for a Power Seller not to accept Paypal. "We sincerely regret that we can't offer the convenience of on-line payment options right now, including PayPal, but we're working on it." "We're working on it" may mean they have a problem with ebay or Paypal, or that ebay or Paypal has a problem with them, or they have a problem with the lenses. It is a good price (and they do say they will accept returns for defective items), but IMO very risky.

Last edited by penolta; Aug 26, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:02 AM   #5

I have the Sigma EX DG 10-20mm wide angle lens. It's a rectilinear lens so you can minimize the distortion if you are careful when taking photos. It's a great lens and very useable. While this fisheye looks like great fun, i'd suggest you would get better use out of the Sigma.
Cheers
bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:41 AM   #6

Morning, I have had the 10-17 for over 3 years now. I like it very much and it has a place in photography - however, that said, it is a specialty lens. Jelpee's images portray its capabilities very well. On the first image, depending on how you frame the scene (pointing slightly upwards, straight out, or slightly downward), you can place the "bend" where you want it, either to accentuate it or to diminish it. The museum image I think really highlights the 10-17's capabilities. Its 10mm end pulls in a full 180 degrees of view. Using a 12-24 (or 10-20) lens, you would need at least 2 frames and then stitch. There is really no rectilinear equivalent (which would be about a 0mm lens to get the FOV). For instance, the 10-17 has a FOV of 180 to 100 degrees, while the 12-24 has a FOV of 100 to 60 degrees. In terms of FOV they are very complementary, however in order to get that very wide perspective, the lens does have to pull the edges in to the frame and it does that through "controlled" distortion. At 10mm you have the full FE effect, while at 17 it is still there, but relatively small.

Another capability of the lens is its ability to let you get very close to an object. Say in the museum picture, if you were in front of the elephant - maybe a foot away, you could get the shot with the whole elephant in the frame. In some ways you can almost use this lens as a macro due to its very small focusing distance. It also has an incredible depth of field.

Some folks like the lens - others don't. It's not for every occasion and can be over used. Images of objects that are very square, suffer from it, while items that have natural lines, curves, trees, etc. do very well.

hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
No returns and no Paypal, even though listed on ebay, so no buyer protection whatsoever, Wolf is a Ritz company, so are these unsold lenses from store closings, or are they customer returns? Very strange for a Power Seller not to accept Paypal. "We sincerely regret that we can't offer the convenience of on-line payment options right now, including PayPal, but we're working on it." "We're working on it" may mean they have a problem with ebay or Paypal, or that ebay or Paypal has a problem with them, or they have a problem with the lenses. It is a good price (and they do say they will accept returns for defective items), but IMO very risky.
I suspect the problem is the Ritz bankruptcy and post bankruptcy fallout. Last month, the company received court permission to sell its assets to CEO David Ritz for about $24 million. The sale closed quickly but I imagine there's still at lot of dust that needs settling. David Ritz's new company - Ritz Camera & Image - will continue to operate stores under the names of Ritz Camera & Image, Wolf Camera & Image, Kits Camera & Image and Inkley’s & Image.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Actually, since they are an authorized dealer, you have full manufacturers warranty from Pentax. For the price savings, I would consider this very low risk indeed. The worst case scenario is that Pentax send you a new lens. I purchased my DA* 200MM from them and it was brand new, in the box & perfect. Of course, since I only live about 25 minutes away, I was able to go over and inspect it and pick it up. They had 5 or 6 for sale and all of them were perfect. I'm very happy with the lens and the way I was treated.
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:44 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies.

• That's a great deal from Ritz, but being a Canadian i wouldn't have any warranty on the lens.
  • As people have said the 10-17 is a fisheye ..first and foremost. The more I think about it, the more I think maybe an extreme wide angle is the lens for my needs, mostly vintage cars and landscapes.
  • Sigma 10-20 W/A- I tried the lens the other day at the local Pro Camera shop. Tried it vs a Pentax 12-24. The Sigma was significantly cheaper (around $200) and I liked it. I attached to one of my bodies and also attached the Pentax 12-24...the S. has greater range, they both seem sharp, although I wonder if the Pentax is a bit sharper ?
  • The Sigma 10-20 has a great warranty...10 years...wow.
Thanks for the suggestions and also the pix with the P. Fisheye....it's very sharp...lot's of food for thought.

Last edited by lesmore49; Aug 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 4:23 PM   #10

I haven't looked at the Sigma, I didn't even know it existed until after I bought the Pentax 12-24. However, I've never regretted buying the 12-24 and love it. I understand that the 10-17, after you de-fish the picture, will still give you more field of view than the 12-24, but I've never tried it. I find the 12-24 plenty wide for most situations. I'm not so sure that I would have liked the 10-17 as much as I do (I bought it a couple of weeks ago), if I hadn't had as much experience with the 12-24.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote