Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:20 AM   #1

Default Confessions of a lens-a-holic

Since I purchased my K7, I have become addicted to quality lenses. I've tried stopping, I just try to say no, but I just can't! Since the K7, I have purchased the following:

FA 50mm f1.4
DA* 200mm F2.8
DA* 50-135mm F2.8
DA 18-250mm

I told myself that I won't buy anymore, but I keep looking for that great deal on a DA* 300mm. I promise this will be the last one (but I do really want the FA 77mm F1.8)! SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going to trade my wife's engagement ring for a lens but she caught me.

I'm starting to get some decent low light action shots and it keeps making me want more! Here is one of my shots from last friday night, taken with the DA* 200mm, iso 800, f2.8, 1/1000. I still have a long way to go, but the pics are consistently getting better. I need to crop this a little more, but I'm starting to get almost usable pics. Also, since I've learned to shoot in portrait rather than landscape, I've had to take these hand-held because my monopod doesn't have a ball head. This makes it tought to get the sharpness that I'm looking for, so I now have to upgrade the monopod as well! ARGGGHHHH!
Attached Images

jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:28 AM   #2

Since you are shooting a lot at portrait with heavy lenses, you might want to check out an L-bracket for the camera. I'm not sure if Really Right Stuff has made them yet (need to ask - I should be able to buy one soon). I have their quick release plate on my tripod head and the L-bracket attached to the camera. One of the problems I've had with heavy lenses and some ball heads when shooting portrait is that the mounting plate on the camera won't hold it tight enough to keep the camera from drooping. An L-bracket keeps the camera over the ball head, rather than on the side. And Really Right Stuff's brackets are custom made for the camera. I'm currently using the K20's bracket for the K-7 - it works and keeps the camera properly supported but it's too large for the smaller K-7 and I keep catching the bracket on things. I think one would make an excellent investment for you (they are NOT cheap!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Since you are shooting a lot at portrait with heavy lenses, you might want to check out an L-bracket for the camera. I'm not sure if Really Right Stuff has made them yet (need to ask - I should be able to buy one soon). I have their quick release plate on my tripod head and the L-bracket attached to the camera. One of the problems I've had with heavy lenses and some ball heads when shooting portrait is that the mounting plate on the camera won't hold it tight enough to keep the camera from drooping. An L-bracket keeps the camera over the ball head, rather than on the side. And Really Right Stuff's brackets are custom made for the camera. I'm currently using the K20's bracket for the K-7 - it works and keeps the camera properly supported but it's too large for the smaller K-7 and I keep catching the bracket on things. I think one would make an excellent investment for you (they are NOT cheap!).
I went to their web site and they aren't showing an L-Bracket (http://reallyrightstuff.com/QR/05.html) for the K7. It looks like the perfect solution and well worth the investment, given the cost of equipment. I'll send them an email and see if they can tell me when one will be available.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4

you should have a way to swing the cam with your head. i'm not sure if i've seen a head that doesn't..
H, has a great tripod and head but she spent 1000+usd(not including the L-bracket) bracket for it.. i got my CF on ebay and a head for 125usd.. you can't get it for now.
as far as the LBA goes , there's not away for me to help. at least you can afford it.. i'm at 11 lenses and all i need is a good wide.. i don't collect and i try not to duplicate the range..good luck
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:57 AM   #5

You have a Pentax....so you have LBA! One follows the other. Just stay away from the vintage lens group (your's truly included) and you will be safe. Maybe! Possibly! It could be! Naahh. Too late ... You'll find an old lens and that will be the end of you.... I know....after nearly 70 lens it gets to where the next new to you lens will feel just like Christmas.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:58 PM   #6

forgot to say..
great shot
even tho you can't do sports shots using pentax
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
forgot to say..
great shot
even tho you can't do sports shots using pentax
Thanks, Roy. I added 3 more from the game last Thursday, but keep in mind that you can't shoot action with Pentax.

As far as the monopod thing, I have a fairly cheap one and need to go ahead and bite the bullet and spend some money on a good one with a ball head and significantly higher weith rating. I don't really want to spend $300 or $400, but will do so if necessary to effectively protect my equipment and get acceptable results. I'm open to any suggestions.

Jerry
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
As far as the monopod thing, I have a fairly cheap one and need to go ahead and bite the bullet and spend some money on a good one with a ball head and significantly higher weith rating. I don't really want to spend $300 or $400, but will do so if necessary to effectively protect my equipment and get acceptable results. I'm open to any suggestions.

Jerry
I wouldn't worry too much about a monopod unless you start using a flash in your setup (at which point you can mount the flash on the monopod). You'll get used to the weight of the 200mm lens fairly quickly and you'll find the freedom of NOT using a monopod is beneficial. If you do get a 300mm 2.8 lens it should have a tripod collar on it so a ball-head isn't an issue.

FWIW I'm not a fan of using ballheads on monopods. Unelss you lock them down they're a pain when you go to pivot with a monopod. So my advice is keep the 200-300 and put it towards a longer lens.

Also crank your ISO and get your exposures up. These shots are a stop or so underexposed. You'll be amazed how much more they pop when you get that exposure nailed.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
I went to their web site and they aren't showing an L-Bracket (http://reallyrightstuff.com/QR/05.html) for the K7. It looks like the perfect solution and well worth the investment, given the cost of equipment. I'll send them an email and see if they can tell me when one will be available.
Check out the K7 L bracket at Kirk. It is the same idea, essentially custom made for the camera body, uses the same QR plate attachment as RRS, using the Arca-style. It is also a bit cheaper than RRS and a lot cheaper than AcraTech.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/L-Bracket_for_Pentax_K-7.html#
http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/item...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=71
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:12 PM   #10

Thanks, John & IO. I definitely will experiment with the exposure. I knew I was pushing it with the ISO on these shots. It was a strange, overcast late afternoon with significant fluctation in light levels.

The Kirk L bracket is more afordable, although they don't make it for use with the battery grip, which is a bummer. The universal L bracket from acratech might be the way to go if I decide I have to have a monopod. Reallyrightstuff has a universal bracket, but it won't fit on the battery grip either. I'll keep experimenting with hand held, but I think I will eventually go with the monopod, at least some of the time.