Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
I paid $199.00 about 5 months ago. All the other lenses seem to be at least $100 more than they were in mid summer. Anyone have any ideas?
got mine for $0.
Fry's had them for $95 after tax and there was 3 left from 2 stores.
i listed them for $175 over at pentax forum. they didn't last a half an hour..
do the math..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:13 AM   #12

Appears that Pentax is rolling the dice on supply & demand. Sorry, but anyone who pays $359.00 for a 50 mm 1.4 should seek therapy. I had to talk myself into buying it for $199.00 with free shipping. It is barely worth that. About a year ago I bought a DA 40, DA 21, & a DA 70-bought one at a time-total cost was approx $1100.00-if you bought them today from B&H it would be $1400.00. If I wanted to overpay for lenses I would sell my Pentax gear-buy C and their "L" lenses.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:25 PM   #13

The current price in Sweden for an FA50mm 1.4 is - keep your breath - 865 USD!
Glad I bought mine long ago.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
Cruising the internet and looked at Pentax lenses on B&H. They listed the 18-250 & 35 2.0 as discontinued -so I checked the Pentax site-which confirmed this. Also the prices are obscene-they are now charging $349.00 for a 50mm 1.4. I paid $199.00 about 5 months ago. All the other lenses seem to be at least $100 more than they were in mid summer. Anyone have any ideas?
Tamron, which made the 18-250 has replaced it with an 18-270, which might appear under the Pentax label sometime in the (near?) future. I was able to get mine (Tamron version) with a dealer-only $100 rebate before they disappeared.

And it is not only Pentax lens prices that are (and have been) going up - the dollar keeps dropping in value against other currencies - the last sub-$400 Sigma 10-20 disappeared a few weeks ago.

Last edited by penolta; Sep 28, 2009 at 6:29 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 6:50 PM   #15

The $USD is at its lowest point in 8 years against the Yen.

However, the price for the 50mm F1.4 has increased in Japan from around $255 to $310 (based on USD/Yen exchange rate of two months ago)

So the net effect if you take both of these into account shows:

Japan, two months ago, $255 USD, now $325 USD.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 7:19 PM   #16

I think the problem (at least as far as Pentax buyers are concerned) is no one thing. Yes, the exchange rate is part of it. But so is Hoya's stated intention to make Pentax profitable in 2010. The almost-unparalleled value proposition that Pentax has offered in both the film and digital eras is nothing new to long-time Pentaxians. But Hoya understands this has become a matter of survival. I think, out of necessity, they must price their lenses at whatever point the market will bear. I just hope they don't turn off too many of the faithful.

BTW... on a completely different subject... I haven't been posting much lately. My wife broke her ankle (rather badly) and almost all of my time is taken up by work, caring for her and dealing with doctors and insurance companies. I'm hoping my bride of 27 years will be well enough to return to work by Thanksgiving. It'll be a while before I can afford a New Pentax camera or lens.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:21 PM   #17

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I think the problem (at least as far as Pentax buyers are concerned) is no one thing. Yes, the exchange rate is part of it. But so is Hoya's stated intention to make Pentax profitable in 2010. The almost-unparalleled value proposition that Pentax has offered in both the film and digital eras is nothing new to long-time Pentaxians. But Hoya understands this has become a matter of survival. I think, out of necessity, they must price their lenses at whatever point the market will bear. I just hope they don't turn off too many of the faithful.

BTW... on a completely different subject... I haven't been posting much lately. My wife broke her ankle (rather badly) and almost all of my time is taken up by work, caring for her and dealing with doctors and insurance companies. I'm hoping my bride of 27 years will be well enough to return to work by Thanksgiving. It'll be a while before I can afford a New Pentax camera or lens.
Sorry to hear about your bride...hope her recovery is going well and that you are keeping your sanity between the doctors and insurance companies!!

Pentax's value proposition was always an apealing factor for me. I think most existing Pentax users will for the most part support the price hikes, perhaps partly due to brand loyalty and partly due to the money already invested in it. However, at these prices, it would be a hard sell to attract new users who may be tempted to go with the power houses of C & N: proven on the field performance by pros, strong brand image, and a myriad of lens and accessory options. I have no issue in a higher priced product if there is some enhanced value. As someone else on the thread remarked, in this economy, most are looking for value. If new users were to spend a comparable amount, why wouldn't they go with a well known brand that also has stellar performance (such as C or N) vs Pentax...
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:38 PM   #18

I've been using Pentax equipment since 1980-this is the first time I have seen anything like this. Pentaxians are a different brand of photographer-the equipment has been unique, also. It appears that Hoya is changing the landscape-too bad-it's been a fun ride so far.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:54 PM   #19

Default I'm glad I got my lenses already!

One of the reasons I bought Pentax is that historically the lenses were reasonable, and use lenses were a drug on the market. My Sigma 17-70 and Pentax 55-300 were about $300 apiece. I have a 28mm manual k-mount, and a 50mm thread mount. And an adapted 50mm-macro. All of my lenses appear to be very sharp- if I use good technique and understand my camera. (Pay attention!) I would like an 85 mm k-mount manual, but they have been bid way up, even on E-bay and KEH. Oh well, I'm good for the pics I take. I'm not a sports shooter or birder. Sadly, prices are going up even in a depression.

Anyway, I don't need more lenses, I need a sensor with a 12 stop dynamic range! Now that would be a real improvement that would be great!
dichro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:48 AM   #20

I bought my 50mm F1.4 recently. Quite cheap but in very good condition for a 1970's lens. Goes well with my K20D and the manual focus and pre setting the aperture (my preference) aren't too much trouble.

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote