Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF Lens for Pentax

Folks,

I just came across this lens. Any opinions or ideas about the performance of this lens vs. the Pentax or Tamron versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-250mm...pr_product_top

I would most likely use this on a K100D, *ist DL2 or *istD 6MP cameras.

Thanks!

Best regards,

-thepusher
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:35 PM   #2

Haven't seen any feedback on this, but I have the Pentax 18-250mm and it's an excellent lens (as many on this forum will attest) and Ritz has them on clearance for $350, shipped. See this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...pentax-k7.html
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:09 PM   #3

Thanks jnanpentaxfan and Rufus T Firefly for the link to Ritz Camera. I just placed an order for one!!

Thanks again!

Best regards,

-thepusher.
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:36 PM   #4

Glad to be of service. I can't tell you how much help I've received from members of this forum. A great bunch of folks!
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 7:36 PM   #5

I have used the Tamron 18-250 extensively and it is a winner. I use it for work as a newspaper reporter. Below is an example of near the telephoto end and an ISO 800 shot at the Montery Bay Aquarium. The 18-250 lives on my K2000.
Attached Images

Last edited by pboerger; Oct 6, 2009 at 7:38 PM. Reason: Add text
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:56 PM   #6

pboerger-

Based on your experience, I just switched my Pentax 18-250mm from my K-20 to my K-2000 to see if there was any difference.

I had used the Pentax 18-250mm lens on the K-20 without being overly impressed. However, when the that Pentax 18-250mm lens was switched to the K-2000 camera, just now, the sharpness on that lens really seemed to increase substantially. It was like the Pentax 18-250mm lens and the Pentax K-2000 camera were made for each other.

Here is a sample photo taken with the Pentax AF-200 external flash using that lens and camera combination.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 7:34 PM   #7

I'm not sure, but does the K20D have programming whereby you can custom tune each different len's focus ?

I have the KM (K2000) and K10D and they don't have this feature, so I don't know much about it...just something I read somewhere. I could be mistaken.

I do notice that with my K10D and KM...all my lenses focus fine...pix are pinpoint clear.

BTW, Sarah that photo of your husband is extremely clear and the lighting is excellent. Also the pix of the field of Tulips...it's like a painting. The use of light and colour and the angle...just great. That pix is in your other thread.

I also am quite impressed with Pboerger's photo of the Jellyfish, taken with his K2000. Very striking.

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 15, 2009 at 7:41 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:38 PM   #8

Les-

As we both know, the K-2000 camera does not seem to get the credit it deserves. Hopefully that fate will not also happen with the soon to be introduced KX model.

sarah Joyce
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Les-

As we both know, the K-2000 camera does not seem to get the credit it deserves. Hopefully that fate will not also happen with the soon to be introduced KX model.

sarah Joyce
You hit the nail on the head...that's my big concern.
Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:52 PM   #10

Well, Les-

I made a huge leap of faith today. I ordered a KX body from www.adorama.com. I am going to install my Pentax 18-250mm lens on it and pray for a match like the one that I found with the Km and the Pentax 18-250mm lens.

The increased ISO capability of the KX whould make the Pentax 18-250mm lens even more versatile. At that is my hope. We will know more toward the end of next week when the KX arrives at our house.

In an attempt to forestall any battery problems, I also ordered the new NI-ZN batteries and a charger as well to prevent me from having a battery problem with the new KX camera. There has been a continuing string of battery problem reports over at dpreview.

So please hold positive thoughts and wish me large quanities of good luck with the new camera. I have essentially burned my bridges as I sold the Km today, and will have my K-20 and Sony A-700 both listed this week on E-bay.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce