Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:49 PM   #1

Default Old big lens - advice please

Well, I've been wanting a longer lens for some time now, and noticed a bargain at KEH. It's the old manual focus Pentax 135-600 F6.7, which I have orderered and which should arrive soon. I do not intend to take it along for long hikes (it weighs about 9 pounds, and is almost 2 feet long!), but hope it will be useful for nearby birding trips.

Any advice about the best way to work with this large, heavy lens will be greatly appreciated.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:35 PM   #2

Get a good tripod!

Scott did an excellent write-up on his Wimberley Sidekick ( http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...-kjell-gw.html ) and how he uses it for his big glass. Looks like a great set-up.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:59 AM   #3

Practice a lot. A big long lens doesn't shoot the same as a smaller lens. Find out what it needs to shoot good photos. Most require brighter ambient light as the apertures are so small. Use a tripod and cut the AS off while using the tripod. Every tiny movement will be amplified with a longer lens so practice shooting to achieve less movement. And Enjoy it...I know you will.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 5:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Practice a lot. A big long lens doesn't shoot the same as a smaller lens. Find out what it needs to shoot good photos. Most require brighter ambient light as the apertures are so small. Use a tripod and cut the AS off while using the tripod. Every tiny movement will be amplified with a longer lens so practice shooting to achieve less movement. And Enjoy it...I know you will.
seen both good and bad from this..
you'll need a tripod
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:42 AM   #5

Harriet - thanks for the link to Scott's great write-up. Looks like a very useful setup! Unfortunately, after purchasing the lens, I have no funds for any other equipment for quite a while!

BigDawg - thanks for the helpful suggestions! Will look forward to playing with the new "toy," and hope to post some photos here eventually.

Roy - Thanks! I did purchase a (very used) tripod from KEH at the same time, since my little mini-manfrotto is much to small for the big lens.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:05 PM   #6

Don't underestimate the usefulness of a good beanbag. Even for a big lens such as a 300 F/2.8.

Please post some pics once you get use to the lens.

cheers,

AL
Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:33 AM   #7

Alpo - thanks for the beanbag suggestion - may try that too!
Here's a link to some of the test shots posted here:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...-new-lens.html