Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 9, 2009, 3:56 PM   #1

Default Old big lens has arrived!

My "new" Pentax 135-600 zoom arrived today. Did not have much time to test it out - busy with school groups, on trails, etc. But took it out for a quick test before the storms arrive. For those who haven't seen this old lens, here are a few views (note that tripod shot was taken with a little Canon A720)
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2009, 3:58 PM   #2

That lens sure is heavy and tough (for me) to handle! Will take a lot of practice!!

There's a group of very shy cormorants that have been hanging around here lately, so I decided to give the lens a quick test on these.

First a (cropped) shot with my standby - Tamron 18-250, just to show how bad my previous attempts at these birds have been.
Attached Images

Old Oct 9, 2009, 3:59 PM   #3

Now here's the same group of birds with the Pentax lens, set at minimum zoom (135mm).
Attached Images

Old Oct 9, 2009, 4:00 PM   #4

And a few samples of the same birds, same lens, set to 600mm (and some cropping too).
Attached Images

Old Oct 9, 2009, 4:01 PM   #5

I can see a lot of detail, also a lot of CA!
Hope to have some more time to practice with my "new toy," and glad for any suggestions!
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:49 PM   #6

Mole, that lens is a real monster! Even though it won't accompany you on any of your hikes into the high country, I'm sure you'll make very good use of it. Congrats on your new acquisition.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:13 AM   #7

I look at pictures taken with long lenses like this and envy them - think that I'd really like something longer than 300mm. Then I see pictures of the lens and say "no way am I going to use something that HUGE!" It looks more like a telescope! But the pictures are really quite nice and I know you'll use it often.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 2:54 AM   #8

I'm impressed by the performance at 600mm! One question: is the tripod up to the job, or do you feel a need to upgrade? (What tripod is it?)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:03 AM   #9

The CA can be Abated somewhat by having the light at a 90 degree angle or more from the camera lens. Also a Polorizing lens can help. I LIKE THAT LENS!!!!!!!!!!!!! My kind of lens indeed. Love the size...I can't help it....I like long lens. You need to get closer if possible to the minimum focus distance the lens is capable of for the best detail to show and for the lens to perform at it's highest capability. Closer is better.....until it can no longer attain a focus lock. After seeing it I'm sure you will have a good time with this lens..
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:36 AM   #10

Nice find - looks almost unused (still has the old JCII sticker attached). What is the maximum aperture of this manual lens?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote