Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:51 PM   #1

Default Middle School Football With a Sigma 50-500

From the bleachers at the fifty yard line on a dark cloudy day.
Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:06 AM   #2

Nice shots, Mr. Ed-

Was it a grey day or is that showing some of the limitations of the lens?

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Administrator

Note the first line he posted (right before the photos).

Quote:
From the bleachers at the fifty yard line on a dark cloudy day.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Nice shots, Mr. Ed-

Was it a grey day or is that showing some of the limitations of the lens?

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Both, IMO. As was pointed out he indicated it was dark & cloudy. In those conditions I'm shooting at ISO 800-1600 with an f2.8 lens. So, I think ANY f5.6 lens is going to cause problems for the shooter in getting enough shutter speed and getting bright enough exposures.

The exif data has been removed so I can't see what ISO or shutter speeds were used. It's always a trade-of bumping up ISO to get more shutter speed.

One thing I would suggest - it appears various exposure values were used in this sequence. In a couple the faces look OK but in others they're dark. That's where setting a manual exposure can really help out. Dark & cloudy may not be GOOD light but it's CONSISTENT light. That's a great opportunity to shoot manual exposure so you don't get these exposure swings (which are typically influenced most heavily by the presence/absence of those white jerseys in the frame).

It's especially beneficial as you bump up the ISO to get faster shutter speeds. When you start shooting ISO 1600 you don't want to have to adjust for under-exposed faces.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Both, IMO. As was pointed out he indicated it was dark & cloudy. In those conditions I'm shooting at ISO 800-1600 with an f2.8 lens. So, I think ANY f5.6 lens is going to cause problems for the shooter in getting enough shutter speed and getting bright enough exposures.

The exif data has been removed so I can't see what ISO or shutter speeds were used. It's always a trade-of bumping up ISO to get more shutter speed.

One thing I would suggest - it appears various exposure values were used in this sequence. In a couple the faces look OK but in others they're dark. That's where setting a manual exposure can really help out. Dark & cloudy may not be GOOD light but it's CONSISTENT light. That's a great opportunity to shoot manual exposure so you don't get these exposure swings (which are typically influenced most heavily by the presence/absence of those white jerseys in the frame).

It's especially beneficial as you bump up the ISO to get faster shutter speeds. When you start shooting ISO 1600 you don't want to have to adjust for under-exposed faces.
These are rapid sequential photos so the camera is trying to adjust the exposure as it fires. The difference in exposure can be caused by this. as the colors and light changes when the players move you get this. All are hand held photos. I purposely left them at the exposure the camera arrived at. I will post the EXIF for these tomorrow.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
These are rapid sequential photos so the camera is trying to adjust the exposure as it fires. .
Exactly. That was why I made the suggestion to shoot with a manual exposure - precisely so the camera does NOT change exposure settings during the sequence. The idea is to set exposure to properly expose dominant skin tone in helmets and lock that exposure in. In that regard, shooting in overcast is a big bonus - light is constant. It really cuts down on the amount of post processing you need to do.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Exactly. That was why I made the suggestion to shoot with a manual exposure - precisely so the camera does NOT change exposure settings during the sequence. The idea is to set exposure to properly expose dominant skin tone in helmets and lock that exposure in. In that regard, shooting in overcast is a big bonus - light is constant. It really cuts down on the amount of post processing you need to do.
Understood and I agree.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:31 PM   #8

These are with a K20, right? Considering they all come from a single burst sequence, I'm impressed that you held focus consistent through the burst. This is what has always given me trouble with the K20.

How much cropping did you do?

I fully agree with John on using manual exposure.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
These are with a K20, right? Considering they all come from a single burst sequence, I'm impressed that you held focus consistent through the burst. This is what has always given me trouble with the K20.

How much cropping did you do?

I fully agree with John on using manual exposure.

Paul
All with my K10D Paul as I have refused to upgrade as yet. Also no crops here. As they came from the camera with minimal sharpening and slight contrast boost. About as pristine as I can post. LOL
Here are a couple more. First my Grandson out on the field. Then my Wife and Son-inlaw from across the field.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigdawg; Oct 23, 2009 at 7:24 AM.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote