Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:44 AM   #1

Default Super Takumar 28 F3.5

Well, I was cleaning out some old storage cabinets and found an old lens of mine that I had completely forgotten. Dusted it off and tried it out while I was out working on trails yesterday.
It does seem to capture natural colors quite well.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:45 AM   #2

At F 3.5, it's not super fast, but fast enough to catch this speedy creature!
Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:46 AM   #3

What impressed me most was the sharpness at all F stops. Here are some comparisons wide open (F 3.5) and stopped down (F 16).
Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:47 AM   #4

Not sure what I will use/need this lens for, but it was fun to try it out on the trail anyway...
Attached Images

Last edited by mole; Oct 22, 2009 at 7:05 AM. Reason: (forgot to attach photo!)
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:39 PM   #5

ok, what kind of a lens is this, and why does it make colors amazing? i must know! these colors are great!!!! (you know my obsession with color, you understand) and wow at the f stops being great too!
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:43 AM   #6

These do look good - and who needs a need for using an outstanding lens, like an old M42 screw mount Super Takumar. Opportunities always present themselves. I keep thinking about searching ebay for an adaptor and some of these old lenses - the quality of this one is really outstanding.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:58 PM   #7

I have an old K mount Takumar 28 mm...can't recall if it's a 2.8 or a 3.5. I have misplaced it somewhere along with my 50 mm Takumar K mount Macro lens. I plan to put some effort into digging them out, especially the 50 Macro.

These Takumars were marketed by Pentax in the '80's. They were a bit cheaper then Pentax lens, but I believe they may have been based on older design Takumars from the M42 screw mount days.

I was very happy with them...no quality issues that I could see.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:07 PM   #8

Left over from my Spotmatic days are the 55mm F1.8, 35mm F3.5 and 200mm F4, all in excellent condition. One of my earliest posts on this forum was about using the old lenses and at that time I had planned to get the K adapter. Seeing your images make me want to finally get that adapter and make good use of those lenses but the current price (Canadian $) for the Pentax adapter is about $70, up from about $36 a month or so ago! I've heard about some problems with non Pentax adapters so I will have to wait until prices are more reasonable.

Regards

Last edited by bluenose; Nov 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM. Reason: Added additional information.
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:57 PM   #9

Vole - this is an old screwmount lens that I got probably some 35 years ago, to go with my good-old Praktica Nova film camera. Not sure about the color (there are others on this forum who know A LOT more about lenses than I do), but it seems that the specific kind of glass, and the way that the glass elements are arranged, does affect the way the lens transmits color.

Harriet - Try KEH - they usually have both adapters and a wide range of the M42 lenses.

Les - mine is the old super takumar thread mount - do not have any of the old K-mount takumars...

Bluenose - sounds like some great lenses - you should check out KEH for a good used adapter!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Vole - this is an old screwmount lens that I got probably some 35 years ago, to go with my good-old Praktica Nova film camera. Not sure about the color (there are others on this forum who know A LOT more about lenses than I do), but it seems that the specific kind of glass, and the way that the glass elements are arranged, does affect the way the lens transmits color.

Harriet - Try KEH - they usually have both adapters and a wide range of the M42 lenses.

Les - mine is the old super takumar thread mount - do not have any of the old K-mount takumars...

Bluenose - sounds like some great lenses - you should check out KEH for a good used adapter!

Thanks for the lead on KEH. I emailed them and am waiting a response regarding shipping by USPS as opposed to UPS. The brokerage fee for UPS shipping to Canada is a killer. I also checked Calumet, good price, but out of stock for 2 or 3 weeks.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote