Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:28 PM   #1

Default Sigma 18-50mmF2.8 w/K100Super

My daughter took that after some attempt with an active cat. She did that with no flash indoor with very little DoF

I tried that lens in DC area which is pretty much very close in character with my Sigma 24-60mm

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:15 PM   #2

Very nice. I also have the Sigma 24-60mm EX DG and have considered the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 Macro (2nd version of their 18-50). Which version does your daughter have? I agree with your comparison to the 24-60mm. I would like to get something wider with similar quality.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
Very nice. I also have the Sigma 24-60mm EX DG and have considered the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 Macro (2nd version of their 18-50). Which version does your daughter have? I agree with your comparison to the 24-60mm. I would like to get something wider with similar quality.
Jim
Hers is the macro version.
I got the 24-60mm as I have the Zen 16mm F2.8 which takes care of the wide end

Daniel
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:39 PM   #4

That cat shot is impressive, Daniel. Really nice control of the lighting, and detail is great.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
Jim
Jim, I bought the Sigma 18-50mm EX DG non-macro version about a year and a half ago as a replacement for my kit lens after it (along with others) was stolen during a Hawaiian vacation. It has been one of my most used lenses since then. When we went back this summer, I used it for this shot, one of my favorites I've ever taken

I recently bought the WR resistant version of the kit lens, primarily for its WR characteristics, but I figure the Sigma will continue to be my primary lens for landscape work.

Paul
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:14 PM   #6

That's quite a sunset picture, I can see why that shot is one of your favorites! I'm still debating about what to do with that focal length - pictures like yours and Daniel's daughters can really sway me in this direction!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
That's quite a sunset picture, I can see why that shot is one of your favorites! I'm still debating about what to do with that focal length - pictures like yours and Daniel's daughters can really sway me in this direction!
Harriet, the choice is not an easy one, but the nice part about the selection from which you can choose has so many good lenses. Your dilemma is one of the reasons I posted so many shots I took in the Pittsburgh museum, because we have not had many posted in the two forums taken with the new WR version of the kit lens. It was really a duplication of range for me since I already had the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, but I went ahead and got it for three reasons: 1) I had a few instances where the water resistance of the lens would have given me greater peace of mind. 2) the price was very reasonable. 3) There have been a few instances when my wife or one of my students was shooting with me that we both needed a lens in that range.

I now have the following lenses in the wide-medium range:
Pentax 10-17 FE
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8
Pentax 18-55 WR kit lens
Sigma 28mm f/1.8 prime
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Macro
I have excellent photos taken with all of them except the fisheye, which I just got, and can't wait to play with this weekend.

Your dilemma is of the best kind; it would be hard for you to choose wrong.

Paul

BTW: The photo I posted helped convince my wife that I wasn't crazy to get up so early in the morning and go chasing sunrises while we were on vacation. She liked it so much that she got up before daylight with me on two other days, but we never found another one where the light came together so nicely.

Last edited by Trojansoc; Nov 20, 2009 at 6:59 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Paul
BTW: The photo I posted helped convince my wife that I wasn't crazy to get up so early in the morning and go chasing sunrises while we were on vacation. She liked it so much that she got up before daylight with me on two other days, but we never found another one where the light came together so nicely.
Paul,

Time well spent in catching the right moment.
Also you are quite equipped indeed. Did not know you have got a bit of quality lenses. I will have problem picking the lens before each outing

Daniel
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Jim, I bought the Sigma 18-50mm EX DG non-macro version about a year and a half ago as a replacement for my kit lens after it (along with others) was stolen during a Hawaiian vacation. It has been one of my most used lenses since then. When we went back this summer, I used it for this shot, one of my favorites I've ever taken

Paul
I'll say! That is a gorgeous photo. So between you and Daniel I would conclude that either version is a nice lens. Thanks for posting.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote