Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:21 AM   #1

Default Tamron 10-24mm- opinion ?

Christmas time...wife want suggestions for XMas gifts...I've read some reviews on the Tamron 10-24...they have been lukewarm from what I have seen.

Anyone have one of these lens, if so how do you find it. It has an appeal to me because of it's extreme wide angle, relatively fast F 3.5...prices is good too.

It competes against the Sigma 10-20.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:00 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Can't speak to the Tamnron, but I tried the Sigma 10-20mm and was a bit dissapointed at the IQ at 10mm..did not seem as sharp for a $600 lens. Ergo, I returned it for a refund. The Sigma version was a heavy bugger...filter size is 82mm
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i am sorry to say that from everything i have seen, the tamron 10-24 seems to be at the bottom of the ultra-wide list. from the several reviews i have seen and from some personal testimony everyone seems to agree that the distortion is a bit too high and the CA is pretty bad. it also seems a little soft.

Jelpee- your observations were for the Sigma 10-20 3.5 correct? i have read alot about this lens that agreed with your observations at 10mm.

I would suggest looking into the cheaper sigma 10-20. the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC, it is cheaper than the 10-20 3.5 and performs better at 10mm, actually i think this lens is a better deal for anyone than the 3.5 version. it is slower variable aperture, but i dont find that to be a big deal for an ultrawide.

what about the pentax 12-24 f4. this is a rebranded tokina 12-24, of which i own. it is one of the better ulrawides and i have always been happy with it. however it seems like having the pentax name on it has almost doubled its price. wow.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:40 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Can't speak to the Tamnron, but I tried the Sigma 10-20mm and was a bit dissapointed at the IQ at 10mm..did not seem as sharp for a $600 lens. Ergo, I returned it for a refund. The Sigma version was a heavy bugger...filter size is 82mm
Hards80: Yes, my experience was with the f3.5. I was interested in it primarily because it offered the HSM motor. The f/4-5.6 is a conventional focusing lens. I am so used to the ultrasonic focusing devices that I can hardly use a conventional focusing lens.

Les: As Hards80 has recommended, the Pentax 12-24mm has gotten good reviews buy fellow Pentaxians on this forum. Unless you are looking for the extra 2mm reach on the wide side, the Pentax would be a good bet.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i am sorry to say that from everything i have seen, the tamron 10-24 seems to be at the bottom of the ultra-wide list. from the several reviews i have seen and from some personal testimony everyone seems to agree that the distortion is a bit too high and the CA is pretty bad. it also seems a little soft.I've seen similar reviews.

Jelpee- your observations were for the Sigma 10-20 3.5 correct? i have read alot about this lens that agreed with your observations at 10mm.

I would suggest looking into the cheaper sigma 10-20. the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC, it is cheaper than the 10-20 3.5 and performs better at 10mm, actually i think this lens is a better deal for anyone than the 3.5 version. it is slower variable aperture, but i dont find that to be a big deal for an ultrawide.

What is the Sigma 10-20's quality like...is it mixed or is it a good, solid lens with good manufacturing quality control ? I tried one and I liked the pix of the one I tried on my Pentax KM a few months ago. The F 4 is the one to get you were saying. That extra speed of the F 3.5 would be nice, but I want the best sharpness i can get, at 10mm.

what about the pentax 12-24 f4. this is a rebranded tokina 12-24, of which i own. it is one of the better ulrawides and i have always been happy with it. however it seems like having the pentax name on it has almost doubled its price. wow.
The Pentax 12-24 is $ 1229 CAD up here in Canada. Can't believe the price, especially as the US price is so much more reasonable. ...isn't something like 700 + US dollars.

From what I've read the Pentax lens is a superior performer.

Someone told me that Hoya owns Pentax and Tokina and that's why we can't get Tokina Pentax mounts in the 12-24 and 11-16 wide angle lens. Unfortunate as I have read that these Tokina lens (12-24/11-16 ) are great. Don't know if this ownership thing is true or not.

If we had US prices in Canada I would get the Pentax 12-24 without hesitation.

I hope Pentax Canada actually reads these webs to get the idea that they are driving customers (like me) away from their products with their pricing.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:31 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Les,

I am still having sticker shock for that Pentax 12-24. It is essentially the exact same lens as the Tokina 12-24 with a SMC coating. 1229 CAD is really quite ridiculous considering the Tokina branded version can be had for like 400USD here.

The 10-20 4.5-5.6 is an EX branded lens, which means it is their professional line. So the build quality on these lenses are quite outstanding. I have heard only good things about this lens. Alot of the focus issues with Sigma is with Canon bodies. They seem to perform quite well on Pentax and Nikons. And it can be had for a pretty good price. As Jelpee mentioned it does not have a high speed motor, which is strange as this exact same lens is HSM on canon and nikon. For me, HSM is not a deal breaker on an ultra-wide, as you don't use them for action or fast moving targets anyway.

http://www.adorama.com/SG1020PXAF.html
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Les,

I am still having sticker shock for that Pentax 12-24. It is essentially the exact same lens as the Tokina 12-24 with a SMC coating. 1229 CAD is really quite ridiculous considering the Tokina branded version can be had for like 400USD here.I know...this excessive pricing is driving me from considering this excellent lens and to look at the after market lenses.

The 10-20 4.5-5.6 is an EX branded lens, which means it is their professional line. So the build quality on these lenses are quite outstanding. I have heard only good things about this lens. Alot of the focus issues with Sigma is with Canon bodies. They seem to perform quite well on Pentax and Nikons. And it can be had for a pretty good price. As Jelpee mentioned it does not have a high speed motor, which is strange as this exact same lens is HSM on canon and nikon. For me, HSM is not a deal breaker on an ultra-wide, as you don't use them for action or fast moving targets anyway.

http://www.adorama.com/SG1020PXAF.html
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it, I have the Pentax 10-17 fisheye which is great, but I would like a separate 10-120 extreme wide angle...good to know what you have just told me, especially the F 4 is the one to get.

les