Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:45 AM   #1

Default basketball pics w/ k7 & Tamron 28-75mm f2.8

My son's school gym seems to have fairly nice lighting, so I thought I would try my Tamron lens for some basketball shots. I think they are pretty good, considering the f2.8 aperture. All shots are taken @ f2.8, 1/500, 1600 ISO. I've attached both orignals (cropped) & enhanced versions using noiseware. I still need a lot of work on composition, etc., white balance, etc., but I'm getting closer.
Attached Images

Last edited by jnanpentaxfan; Dec 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: sp
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2

a few more
Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Gym shooting can be one of the hardest environments to work in.

Is it my imagination or have you had to increase the brightness a lot on these? If not then you have a very very well lit gym.

They all look a little soft and can't easily tell if it is focus or something in the post production.

I think the 3rd is my favorite due to the facial expressions.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4

White balance looks pretty good as does exposure. But something isn't right here. These images are fairly soft. There are a couple possibilities for that.

First, if these images are heavily cropped. For example, shot #1 - was that image cropped at all? I understand it was resized to post, but did you crop it at all? If so, do you still have the original and can you post the original with NO post processing whatsoever (no levels adjustments, no crop, etc) - just resized?

Second - the lens. The tamron lenses, while sharp, are not very fast to focus. You're going to have issues in low light with a fast paced sport like basketball with such a slow focusing lens.

I'm guessing it's a combination of the above two.

An easier issue to address is the images not being level. Look for vertical clues in the background to get your images level - preferably in-camera but if not it's correctable when you crop the image in post processing.

Also - did you adjust the exposure in post processing at all? Or was this the exposure out of camera?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Gym shooting can be one of the hardest environments to work in.

Is it my imagination or have you had to increase the brightness a lot on these? If not then you have a very very well lit gym.

They all look a little soft and can't easily tell if it is focus or something in the post production.

I think the 3rd is my favorite due to the facial expressions.
They have been cropped to varying degrees, the most about 40%. Yes, I did increase brightness, however, the gym is quite well lit for a high school gym. I think that they are soft because the Tamron lens just isn't going to focus quickly enough given the lighting and the fact that it was a full f2.8, which I believe I've read produces softer than ideal images.

My goal was to see what f2.8 could give me in this gym. My DA* 200mm was too long and my DA* 50-135mm focuses too slow, so I decided to try the Tamron for kicks & grins. Here are a couple of the pics untouched, just reduced for posting.
Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:04 PM   #6

Yep, part of your problem is you're not framing tightly enough or you're too far away. Your subject should be filling 3/4 of the vertical frame AT LEAST. You're working beyond the accurate focus limits of a 75mm lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
White balance looks pretty good as does exposure. But something isn't right here. These images are fairly soft. There are a couple possibilities for that.

First, if these images are heavily cropped. For example, shot #1 - was that image cropped at all? I understand it was resized to post, but did you crop it at all? If so, do you still have the original and can you post the original with NO post processing whatsoever (no levels adjustments, no crop, etc) - just resized?
See my response above with originals. They are cropped and levels are adjusted in the first post.

Quote:
Second - the lens. The tamron lenses, while sharp, are not very fast to focus. You're going to have issues in low light with a fast paced sport like basketball with such a slow focusing lens.

I'm guessing it's a combination of the above two.
I'm sure it's both, as you suggest. I was just experimenting before I buy the SMCP 77mm f1.8 that you and others have suggested as a possible lens for indoor action. I've heard of good results using that lens and I wanted to see what f2.8 would do in the lighting conditions of our home gym just to try to extrapolate that out to the 77mm ltd at, say, f2.2 or so (only from a brightness perspective). This may not make any sense, but it's how my strange mind works, LOL.

Quote:
An easier issue to address is the images not being level. Look for vertical clues in the background to get your images level - preferably in-camera but if not it's correctable when you crop the image in post processing.

Also - did you adjust the exposure in post processing at all? Or was this the exposure out of camera?
Yes, see above.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:36 PM   #8

Are you using a tripod for these shots since I agree they are a bit soft for some reason.

I know when I do shots like this I use my 85 f/1.4 or my 80-200 f/2.8 with at least a mono pod to eliminate camera shake which may be part of the problem.

Just a thought!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:01 PM   #9

So I'm not the only one who has a tendency to move the camera too much when shooting something fast? I found I tended to do that when shooting birds and other relatively fast moving objects. I agree with everyone else in that I think they look soft. On the other hand, they are better than what I could manage, so I shouldn't say anything.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:20 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
Are you using a tripod for these shots since I agree they are a bit soft for some reason.

I know when I do shots like this I use my 85 f/1.4 or my 80-200 f/2.8 with at least a mono pod to eliminate camera shake which may be part of the problem.

Just a thought!

Tom
I wouldn't have thought this to be an issue with such a short lens and these shutter speeds. A monopod or tripod would probably be a hindrance in such circumstances as the angular movement required in both directions is going to be pretty large making handling difficult. I only shoot with a monopod for most sports when using my 120-300mm f2.8 or when doing slow shutter panning shots for quite a long time when the weight becomes an issue. Even for gymnastics I generally don't use a monopod on the 300 as again there is too much movement around the mat and not enough time to work around with a monopod (sitting on the floor is more restrictive than standing where you can move easily).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote