Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Default I won a Cat ...

A Makinon 500mm f8.0 catadioptric lens that is .... I was browsing Ebay UK a week or so ago, there was an auction showing a Pentax fit lens poorly described,and not very clear just what it was, other than it was made by Makinon (seller was a non photographer BTW). Following some google searching, I decided it was a 500mm f8.0 reflex lens, and since the initial bid starting price was low I kept tabs on it right up the last minutes of sale, I was only the second bid and won it at a very reasonable price.
This post by our member VTphotog inspired me to have a bid ...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...0mm-reflex.htm

I received the lens today, and I'm very pleased with it's condition, the front lens appears dusty in the shot below, but I assure you it's not. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2

Here are a couple of test shots shot handheld through open windows and braced against the frame. First is an ornamental grass seed head at about 90 feet, the background is a snow covered embankment.
Second is of a large houses victorian chimney pots at about 400 - 450 yards, .... I'm very happy with both results, must try it out at higher ISO, and with tripod and monopod. ... Definitely a lens for good lighting conditions. ... Jack.
Attached Images

Last edited by jachol; Dec 23, 2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Correct a typo
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:16 PM   #3

Interesting thread. I'm thinking about a Mirror lens similar to yours and would like to hear of your experiences with the new lens. Pro's/con's, etc.
I'd be interested in seeing more pictures from your new lens....use of tripod, monopod, animals, birds...etc...if you wouldn't mind.
Thanks, Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:10 AM   #4

Hi jachol,

Congrats!

I've only had experience with the Tamron SP 500/8 Cat, which seems to be very similar in quality from reputation. Cats fell out of favor, but I think that they might find better use with DSLRs because the "donut bokeh" can be better dealt with in a digital darkroom. I remember way back when I was in college in the 60's, and I was shooting a Honeywell Spotmatic -- I saw a Vivitar Series 1 Solid Cat and wanted it so bad I could taste it -- my earliest LBA attack. . .

I'd like to see more from this lens. I'm just curious, so don't go out of your way as I'm more than aware it's winter. . .

Penolta's got a Minolta AF Cat -- too bad nobody ever made one to fit a Pentax. . .

Les -- here's a link to the thread I started when I got my Tamron. There are a couple of pics, and I wrote a mini review.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...got-bonus.html

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Dec 24, 2009 at 12:13 AM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:42 AM   #5

Hi Les and Scott,
Your comments are appreciated. I've looked many times at the Tamron SP 500mm f8.0, but Ebay prices always go sky high, over here at least. It was only by chance, and after research that I realised it was a possibility that the makinon might go cheaply, attracting little attention with it's poor description. I'm very happy with this purchase, LBA if you like, certainly an impulse buy.
I've just this morning realised my first mistake with yesterdays trial shots, looking at the EXIF i was puzzled by the lens showing as a 50mm, until I realised I'd never reset the antishake Doh !.
Les I'll be happy to post future results, but our winter light conditions aren't good ... yesterdays bright low winter sun was a fairly rare exception, as I said I think this type of lens needs good light conditions to perform well. I'm finding manual focus is difficult to judge in poorer light, although the focus bleep is a good indicator, focus adjustment is pretty sharp on this model.
Scott this lens came without the lens hood ... Have you used one with the Tammy, and if so does it make an appreciable difference to the IQ ?.
Todays weather conditions are much worse than yesterday 10/10 cloud, just tried one trial shot with correct AS setting at ISO 1600. result handheld pretty fair, but I'll need to correct exposure, I'm getting under exposure with the AE-l button. more noise was evident at the higher ISO, this is easily removed with a PS plug-in.
BTW thanks for that link Scott I hadn't seen that before. ... Jack
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:24 AM   #6

JFYI there is a 500 mirror on Ebay for $100 for pentax.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote