Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:22 PM   #1

Default Debated for so long on this one...

...16-45mm -vs.- 16-50, 17-70 and so on.

So the 16-45mm should be arriving anyday. I've been using the 18-55mm (orig. version) and wanted something nicer.

And the fact that I really needed to end the constant wavering and back-n-forth battle of which lens I was going to buy to replace the 18-55. So, it came down to going with a little bit nicer and $$$. Deciding that with the money I saved I can now transfer all my indecisiveness onto my next purchase...a flash.

Even though I had time to cancel the order, I didn't. Let's hope I made the right decision and won't miss the WR of the 16-50mm (I'm holding off on the flash just in case).

I realize there is overlapping in my kit but I am keeping my k100d and some zooms for the kids to use.

Last edited by cameanee; Dec 29, 2009 at 5:45 PM.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:47 PM   #2

I'll be interested in what you think of the 16-45. A couple of years ago one person I know bought one and thought it wasn't enough better than the kit lens to make it worth the extra cost. On the other hand, others have seen big improvements. I think this second experience is more common.

I've been doing the same thing - trying to decide what to get. I'll probably eventually buy the 16-50 again as WR is very high on my priority list. I just would like to get it at a store where I can try it before I buy, since when I ordered one on-line the first one was defective and the second one I think was damaged in transit (but couldn't prove that the problems with it were caused by shipping damage).

If it weren't for the weather sealing, I'd be seriously thinking about the FA 31 Ltd. as an alternative.

Post pictures when you get yours!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:51 PM   #3

I fall into the second group .

I've had a 16-45 since Dec., 2007. I'm very happy with my copy...also have had the 18-55 kit lens which came on my KM. I rarely use the kit lens as to me, the image quality is discernible between the two lenses and I find the 16-45 creates better image quality.

My kit lens sits in the bag, the 16-45 is always attached to either my K10D or KM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:12 PM   #4

I have had two of the 16-45mm lenses and both of them were just great, a giant step up from the kit lens.

I tried a 16-50mm with WR, but the copy I used must not have been right since it was not much better than the 16-45mm and was far more expensive.

If your lens is anything like the ones I have, you will love it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameanee View Post
...16-45mm -vs.- 16-50, 17-70 and so on.

So the 16-45mm should be arriving anyday. I've been using the 18-55mm (orig. version) and wanted something nicer.

And the fact that I really needed to end the constant wavering and back-n-forth battle of which lens I was going to buy to replace the 18-55. So, it came down to going with a little bit nicer and $$$. Deciding that with the money I saved I can now transfer all my indecisiveness onto my next purchase...a flash.

Even though I had time to cancel the order, I didn't. Let's hope I made the right decision and won't miss the WR of the 16-50mm (I'm holding off on the flash just in case).

I realize there is overlapping in my kit but I am keeping my k100d and some zooms for the kids to use.
Bought my 16-45 about 2-1/2 yrs ago-tried using it on my K10-was awful-very soft-almost to the point of being blurry. Then I tried it on my old Ist DS-worked fantastic-it never comes off the old camera. Have no explanation-just glad it worked.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:48 AM   #6

Harriet: I'm getting better about posting pics.

Lesmore & Tom: I hope it's as good as I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
Bought my 16-45 about 2-1/2 yrs ago-tried using it on my K10-was awful-very soft-almost to the point of being blurry. Then I tried it on my old Ist DS-worked fantastic-it never comes off the old camera. Have no explanation-just glad it worked.
I'll keep that in mind and test it on the K100d also.

Last edited by cameanee; Dec 31, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:13 PM   #7

I have the lens, and I like it very much. It was essentially the first lens I bought after the kit lenses. I will say that on the K100 it appears a tad better than the kit. However on the K20 I find it very good indeed. The lens has come down in price a bit since I bought it. I keep the K100 and the kit lenses in the truck and the K20 in the backpack with the 13-24,10-17 and the 55-300 - and now the FA31Ltd.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:56 PM   #8

I picked up the 16-45 a few months ago. $300 on a close-out at Willoughby's. Now, I also own the 16-50. I bought the 16-45 not only because it was a good deal but because I wanted a non-SDM zoom in this range in case the 16-50 ever gives me trouble.

It might never give me trouble but I've heard too many stories. If my two SDM-equipped lenses (the 16-50 and 50-135) ever act up, my 16-45 and 55-300 will have me covered until I can arrange repair or take another route.

That being said, the 16-45 is a fine lens on its own. Still better than the kit lens and particularly nice at the wide end: Good color and contrast, and definitely sharper than the kit lens. And, while it's certainly not tiny, the 16-45 is still noticeably (but not dramatically) smaller and lighter than the 16-50.

Good luck with your new lens and let us know how it goes.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:37 PM   #9

i likewise was looking to replace my kit lens and i was choosing between 17-50mm tamron f2.8 a very good lens from the reviews but build quality seemed abit flimsy with people having to tighten thigns up etc themselves vs the 18-50 f2.8 sigma - in the end dispite the fact the tammy got better iq scores i descided i'd rather have the build quality of a sigma ex lens - its also slightly closer focusing so could be handy

the lack of weather resistance was a concern and would have liked the 16-50 da* but was vastly more expensive and then the sdm issues - but for wr i still have my 18-50 da wr and frankly as kit lens's go its pretty damn good - infact just recently taken some images and even pixel peeking it is pretty sharp stopped down abit - so if i need wr and the light is half descent then the WR kit lens is perfect and the sigma well the 2.8 mostly for shooting indoor or when trying for a narrower dof - so shouldn't need the waterproofing hopefully

sadly not had much opertunity to test the sigma yet - been cold and snowy out and had a bad cold so been staying in at home but the few test shots i did showed nice colour redition and sharp even wide open - though at 18mm there is a fair bit of barrel distortion
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote