Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:08 PM   #1

Default Some locally available used lenses...

Promaster 100-400mm AF lens for Pentax
Pentax 100-300mm AF Lens
Promaster 28-200 AF Lens for Pentax

The advertiser states that each of these were purchased new for $3-400 each. They are offered at $75 each.

I presently have the K-x with the 18-55mm and 55-300mm kit lenses. Would any (or all ) of these lenses serve me well? Currently, I am not taking any particularly low-light/fast-action photos, however, I will have a Disney trip in Feb, where I'd like to get some no-flash shots in the darker shows/rides. My children's next Christmas play will be, obviously, next December. SO no worries there. By the time they are active in karate, I will have researched and purchased a better sports lens.

Of the three of them, I was looking at the 28-200mm and the 100-400mm. The 28-200mm for a "superzoom" and the 100-400mm for the extra reach for Kilimanjaro Safari at Animal Kingdom, which we will probably ride early in the day when the light is good and the animals more active.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:21 PM   #2

if they are local take your camera down and ask to give em a whirl and then you can make an informed choice rather than trusting others

and since lens can vary from one to the next even of the same make and spec lens always nice to get it on your camera and see for youself
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:12 PM   #3

Some information about the Promaster 100-400: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...-400-lens.html

The Pentax lens (there's an F and an FA version, not sure there's anything optically different about them) doesn't have a very good impression. I think that Ira has one and has posted some good pictures taken with it, so I guess it's relative.

Doing a quick search for the Promaster 28-200 shows that some say this lens is made by Tamron. I think I'd be more interested in the other two lenses as it's asking a lot to have a lens cover both wide angle and telephoto - there are few lenses that do this well.

I don't have any of these, so don't have direct knowledge. John's suggestion about trying them out first seems really sensible to me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:01 PM   #4

Here are some rough comparison shots with the Promaster 100-400 - judge for yourself whether it might be usable for your purposes.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...100-400-a.html

Last edited by penolta; Jan 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:28 PM   #5

I think I want the 100-400, for the extra reach it will give me on the Safari ride. I think the 600mm equivalent will come in very handy for some of the animals further from the truck.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
I think I want the 100-400, for the extra reach it will give me on the Safari ride. I think the 600mm equivalent will come in very handy for some of the animals further from the truck.
Practice with it before you go, as a long lens can be much more difficult to get a steady shot with. As the lens zooms out to the 400mm focal length the f/stop will increase in number as well, making the shutter speed slow down. This slower shutter speed will cause any slight movement of the Camera-lens combination to show up in the photo as blur or out of focus softness. Just practice a while till you become comfortable with it. Just some advice from one who has been there. I think the 100-400 will be fun for you. Looking forward to the photo-post from your excursion.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
I'm not so sure you will need 400mm in such a park. See my experience from Hluhluwe in South Africa, 96 000 hectares with truly wild animals.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...t-problem.html

These http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ncounters.html were also taken with 200mm. I never used my teleconverters in this park.

Kjell

Last edited by bilybianca; Jan 7, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:04 AM   #8

I don't know anything about the other lenses in your group, but I used the Phoenix (Promaster) 100-400 as my "long" lens for more than a year for nature photography before I got a Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm). For the price, it's a very decent lens. It's build quality is nothing to brag about and the sharpness at the long end won't equal its more expensive cousins, nor will it focus extremely fast on moving objects (BIF shots), but I was able to get some good photos with it. I'm posting a couple from a zoo trip in early 2008 and a couple of bird photos.

By the way, the hawk was shot from ground level to the top of a very tall light tower in a football stadium....A second shot to give perspective....

All were shot with the K10d and the Phoenix version of the 100-400mm. For the dollars, I've always thought it's a tough lens to beat.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote