Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:33 PM   #11

Love the portraits of your hiking buddies - the first one is especially nice.

Scott - is this lens optically the same as the F 70-210? That was by far my favorite, sharpest lens when I was shooting film and I was so sad when mine died. I had thought about buying the A but wasn't sure it was the same optics. If it's the same, it would be worth every penny both of you paid for yours.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Love the portraits of your hiking buddies - the first one is especially nice.

Scott - is this lens optically the same as the F 70-210? That was by far my favorite, sharpest lens when I was shooting film and I was so sad when mine died. I had thought about buying the A but wasn't sure it was the same optics. If it's the same, it would be worth every penny both of you paid for yours.
No, it's not the same optics but the question is which one is the better, the F variety is very good but the A might be a hair better still.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:23 AM   #13

Thanks for all the very helpful input!

Jelpee - 2nd photo taken at ISO 400, 1/125 sec, F5.6
Lens was rated "bargain" at KEH. Only "defect" I can find is a slightly worn place in the paint on the aperture ring. I notice they have several more copies of this lens, rated excellent, for about $150 or so.

Kjell - Thanks for the link - a very interesting website. Thanks also for pointing out the strange lines on the dandelion flower - probably a jpg artifact from resizing, but I will keep an eye out for similar problems in PP. Exposure was probably a bit off due to strong backlighting fooling the meter (and fooling the photographer), but I will play with esposure a bit to see. Thanks!

Dustin - Thanks for the input, and yes they were mostly quite sharp even at full size (except where my old eyes missed focus - this is a manual focus lens)

Scott - Thanks - I agree that it is a bit heavy, but seems to be very high quality. And I did get a great price! This will definitely not replace the 18-250 as my standard, carry-around lens, but will certainly come along in the knapsack frequently.

Harriet - Thanks! She is a cutie, isn't she?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:20 AM   #14

A good deal on a great little lens. All fine photos but a little fill flash or PP fill light would make the Sweet Ladies photo shine. Just an old man's opinion and I mostly wrong!! LOL

An example....I'll remove this if you object.

The first uses the Render Lighting Effects filter in photoshop and an Omni light.
Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:24 AM   #15

This one uses the lighten center filter from Nik Color Efex pro
Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post

As Kjell said, it might be a touch better -- and it's a constant f4. I'd say it's sharp wide open, and very sharp at f5.6 and higher Av. They are about dirt common, but have been increasing in price in the last year or so, when someone must have noticed how good they really are.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:30 AM   #17

This one uses both of the above filters and a vignette blur from Nik Color Efex Pro.
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:49 PM   #18

this is one of pentax's sharpest lenses. it should have had a * next to it..
con, it has terrible zoom creep. if your's has a wobble in the zoom/focus ring then peel the grip rubber closest to the aperture and tighten the 3-4 screws in the ring..
peel only about 1/2'' ..
this has nothing to do with the creep...
this and the 35-105 Aare 2 lenses you should have
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:21 PM   #19

Dang, those are nice shots, especially of your hiking buddy! I hope you printed and hung that one.

I had the A-70-210/4, but it had the fungus, so I let it go. It was a nice lens and handled well, though contrast was low due to the fungus. Looks like you got a nice one.

If you want to feel good about your purchase, look at some of the competitors' 70-200 f/4 stabilized lenses, and see how much you saved by focusing your self, instead of using AF.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:27 PM   #20

Bigdawg - thanks for the interesting diversity of edits - will need to try some of those on the original!

Roy - thanks for the tip. No zoom creep yet, but if it develops, I'll know what to do. I am in the process of purchasing a used, beat up old A* 300 F4, and will share some photos with that one soon...

rfortson - Thanks for the kind words! I am continuing to learn manual focus...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote