Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:27 AM   #21

A used, beat up old A*300 - sounds like the one that Roy sold a few years ago. His had a front element that looked like someone cleaned it with a brick. But it was amazing that he could still manage to take some good pictures with it - if the glass on yours is good, you'll be happy. That was the first good lens I ever bought and it sure spoiled me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
A used, beat up old A*300 - sounds like the one that Roy sold a few years ago. His had a front element that looked like someone cleaned it with a brick. But it was amazing that he could still manage to take some good pictures with it - if the glass on yours is good, you'll be happy. That was the first good lens I ever bought and it sure spoiled me.
yeah, it was pretty beat up. you realy had to know how to use it..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 3:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Hi Harriet,

I think the one mole's getting isn't quite as bad as Roy's was, but it does look pretty abused. I think that especially for the price, it'll do fine though, as Roy's did with optimal aperture settings. It's always good to occasionally see how much damage a front element can take before it really effects IQ. Roy's results really opened my eyes about that, and I think that mole will be able to show us the same with his.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Bigdawg - thanks for the interesting diversity of edits - will need to try some of those on the original!

Roy - thanks for the tip. No zoom creep yet, but if it develops, I'll know what to do. I am in the process of purchasing a used, beat up old A* 300 F4, and will share some photos with that one soon...

rfortson - Thanks for the kind words! I am continuing to learn manual focus...
That should be a good one Mole.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:55 AM   #25

The A* 300 should arrive sometime late next week. Bought it from an individual at Pentax Forums. He has some photos of it posted:

http://picasaweb.google.com/LightBug505/PentaxA300mmF4

It looks very abused, but that's the only reason I could afford it! Will post some photos here later.

Roy - You obviously got some wonderful shots with your scratched up lens. Any advice on how best to use this "battered beast" to overcome the effects of the scratches on the front element? Thanks!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 5:32 PM   #26

It sure looks rough, but the front element is better than Roy's was. One of the advantages to the A*300 is that it's small and relatively light-weight. The compromise to get it that size was to have the closest focusing distance be something like 11 feet. So the design will work in your favor as the lens won't be able to focus on the scratches. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote