Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:48 PM   #1

Default FA*300mm Tripod Mount

I found that the Canon EF 70-200mm f4L tripod mount fits my FA*300mm lens perfectly for those that want a tripod mount on that lens. I didn't purchase a Canon mount, I got a knock off from China for far less and it is actually a good quality piece of equipment that makes the K20D and lens far more balanced on a tripod.

It also takes a lot of stress of the camera body mount even though I really never had any issues with the mount failing no matter what lens I used on it.

Photo: Pentax Optio S4

Tom

Last edited by ennacac; Jan 10, 2010 at 8:50 PM.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2

I remember reading that the F*300's mount would also work with the FA (that being one of the few differences between the lenses). It's very neat that the Canon also works - that could be a real benefit since the F*300 mounts are hard to come by (and usually come attached to the lens). Very nice find!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I remember reading that the F*300's mount would also work with the FA (that being one of the few differences between the lenses). It's very neat that the Canon also works - that could be a real benefit since the F*300 mounts are hard to come by (and usually come attached to the lens). Very nice find!
Looks good Tom!

I don't believe the F* foot can be attached to the FA*. I've never actually seen an F*, but I believe that the foot is attached by two screws to a rotating collar that's a part of the lens barrel. Apparently, it's REALLY hard to find one.

BTW, just to add a little related info to the thread, the tripod collar for the SP 80-200 f2.8 Adaptall 2 also fits the FA*300/4.5 well.

I find that I prefer to use my FA*300/4.5 handheld, so I rarely have attached the tripod collar since I found that it would fit, but I carry it in the bag all the time.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:30 AM   #4

I also use my FA* hand held most of the time, but I still leave the tripod ring on the lens since it really doesn't get in my way.

The lens seem to balance much better on a tripod when attached to a camera with the collar then it does using the mount on the bottom of the camera and even more so with a mono pod.

I know the collar on my FA* 80-200 won't work since it has a locking pin to keep it in position and the one off a A 300mm is too small.

Anyway, it costs very little (the Chinese version) and it works like a charm.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:39 PM   #5

Default FA*, F* and other tripod mounts

A real neat solution, Tom! A great find I think can be very helpful to other FA* owners too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
As Scott says, the F* mount doesn't fit the FA* lens. There is an other older Pentax lens tripod collar that does fit, but I can't remember which one. It's offered for sale on ebay from time to time.

The A*200mm Macro's tripod mount fits the F*, though, so "when" I get that lens I'll only need to carry one tripod mount.

The F* lenses can sometimes be seen for sale without a tripod mount - don't buy it! You'll spend the rest of your life looking for the missing part, and you'll miss it for sure!

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote