Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:27 PM   #1

Default Pentax DA 12-24mm.... Or..... DA 15mm Ltd??

Title basically says it all - I'm in the market for a wide angle lens

and i did consider the 10-20 fisheye but not sure i really want a fisheye and while it might be reasonble non fishy at 20mm guessing by 15mm the distortion is gonna be to great for landscape shots

so that brings me to

12-24mm zoom or the 15mm ltd prime

they both the same speed - but the 15mm is alot smaller but then weight doesn't bother me much i tend to take everything with me most places i go and got it all squeezed into a backpack and i doubt the weight of one more lens is likely to slow me down that much more

the 12-24 is got a zoom range for little more flexibilty

so comes down to image sharpness and wether 15mm is wide enough - i think it would be wide enough but without using it for couple months hard to say if i might want something little bit wider.. so i come to you all for advice

advise away!!!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:20 PM   #2

I don't own the Pentax 12-24, but I do own the DA15 and Sigma 10-20 ''non fish eye''. Both lenses at 15mm have about the same amount of distortion which is not much. The Sigma 10-20 is like two lenses. Crazy distortion from 10 to about 14mm, but I like it. Pentax did a good job with the DA15 in controlling that, but what I like the most is its small size. I am not much of a landscape tog, but I can't image needing wider than 15mm. But then again, I use my Sigma at 10mm because I like the crazy distortion, so go figure.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:47 PM   #3

The pictures I've seen people post taken with the 15 make it look awesome, and it does have a size advantage. On the other hand, the 12-24 is an excellent lens and now that I've sorted out my K-7 ff problem, it is going to go back to being a real work-horse. I often use it at 12 mm, but am not so sure it's that much wider than the 15. However, it seems like there's quite a difference between 12 and 24.

Do you have another lens that covers the 15-50 range that you like? If so, I'd be inclined to get the 15. But in my case, I gave up on my version 1 kit lens when I bought the K20, and everything else I own starts at 50 mm or longer. So the 12-24 made the most sense for me (and I just skip the 24-50 range).

I love my 10-17 fisheye, but I got it to play with and do creative things with, not to try to make it into a jack-of-all-trades. So if that's not your priority, you are smart to stick with a pentilinear lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:46 AM   #4

i have a sigma 18-50 f2.8 that covers basic kit lens type territory but recently was out and just wanted something a bit wider

the fisheye i dont know might love it but i have no idea what i would use it for so feel when talking of spending fair bit of money thatwould be better talking the safe bet =)

sadly no pentax dealers near me so i cant even go and have a look at one =(

the 12-24 appeals since would be able to frame my shots nicely more easily - but well i dont have any ltd lenses yet and as a pentax shooter i really should have one =)

arghhhh LBA is an unrelenting disease I WANT BOTH!!! =(
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:21 AM   #5

well finances have dictated which i'm going to get with the 15mm ltd coming in at 610 and the 12-24mm coming in at 530

since seems that the sharpness from both is excelent and the zoom does have that little more flexibility and can go a bit wider too it seems to be the obvious choice - guess my entry into pentax ltd primes will have to wait for a little bit longer i guess

quite a bit longer actually as i've sworn this will be my last lens for a long while
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:49 AM   #6

Pentax's DA 12-24 is essentially the same lens as the Tokina AT-X 12-24. I would think that other than the mount, barrel design, coating, and the autofocus clutch, its the same lens optically. DPReview had this interesting comparison.

"Compared to the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM (at 14mm), the 15mm F4 comes out on top; it's a hair sharper, and has lower distortion and falloff. Unfortunately it doesn't come out so well against the excellent Tokina AT-X PRO SD 12-24mm F4 (IF) DX, which we'd expect to perform near-identically to Pentax's own smc DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL (IF) - in this case the zoom is sharper, and has lower falloff and equally low distortion, although it does show more chromatic aberration."

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._p15/page3.asp

Now not everything is in the testing, with the actual proof being with each photographer and what they are able to do with it in the field. But, still all-in-all, I thought that it was interesting.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:34 AM   #7

interesting read - the chromatic aberation is a slight concern but hopefully its dealable with - the rest - well yeah not gonna be shooting over 18mm much with it so thats not a prob - speed well landscape shots f4 constant aperture should be plenty specially as mostly be shooting from a tripod - more likely to be shooting at f8 or so for max sharpness

as for fov well i am not planning on trying to take pictures of tall buildings while standing couple feet from the base - just felt that was a need for something below 18mm

so yeah if indeed the optical properties of these lenses are the same then should be happy with my choice
Pentax Photo Gallery