Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:12 AM   #1

Default How good is this lens?

Some months ago I bought a used manual lens for which I have no literature or description. I will describe it as best I can, hoping someone here has had experience with the lens.
All data here is obtained directly from the lens.
It is a Tamron SP 60-300mm 1:3.8-5.4.
There is an Adaptall 2 device attached.
There is a "Macro" feature to the lens, whereby, if I press it together, end to end, I can twist the barrel into the macro state. This lets the lens lengthen. In the macro mode you focus by extending or shortenung the lens. In the macro mode I can shoot an object within about a half-inch of the objective lens. A postage stamp photographed quite closely will fill the picture, and the detail at the center is excellent.
The Adaptall part can be detached. Located on it is a tab ring bearing the numbers 1.4 to 32. It rotates easily when the Adaptall device is separated, but is not movable when the device is attached to the lens. What is the function of this tab ring? My guess is that it has no function mechanically, as it does not seem to connect to anything.
This is a heavy lens, and I can't get good pictures unless it is on a tripod.
I have a Tiffen Haze-1 62mm filter mounted for protection. I have the end caps and a twist-on shader.
The lens has a rectangular leatherette container for protecting it.
Everything about the package seems as good as new.
I paid less than $100 for the package.
Have I got something worth keeping?
I also have a "Sears" 60-300mm 1: 4-5.6 manual lens in good condition, but it has no macro feature. Can anyone give me an idea of how good this lens is supposed to be? Its build seems as good as the Pentax lenses.
Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
Some months ago I bought a used manual lens for which I have no literature or description. I will describe it as best I can, hoping someone here has had experience with the lens.
All data here is obtained directly from the lens.
It is a Tamron SP 60-300mm 1:3.8-5.4.
There is an Adaptall 2 device attached.
There is a "Macro" feature to the lens, whereby, if I press it together, end to end, I can twist the barrel into the macro state. This lets the lens lengthen. In the macro mode you focus by extending or shortenung the lens. In the macro mode I can shoot an object within about a half-inch of the objective lens. A postage stamp photographed quite closely will fill the picture, and the detail at the center is excellent.
The Adaptall part can be detached. Located on it is a tab ring bearing the numbers 1.4 to 32. It rotates easily when the Adaptall device is separated, but is not movable when the device is attached to the lens. What is the function of this tab ring? My guess is that it has no function mechanically, as it does not seem to connect to anything.
This is a heavy lens, and I can't get good pictures unless it is on a tripod.
I have a Tiffen Haze-1 62mm filter mounted for protection. I have the end caps and a twist-on shader.
The lens has a rectangular leatherette container for protecting it.
Everything about the package seems as good as new.
I paid less than $100 for the package.
Have I got something worth keeping?
I also have a "Sears" 60-300mm 1: 4-5.6 manual lens in good condition, but it has no macro feature. Can anyone give me an idea of how good this lens is supposed to be? Its build seems as good as the Pentax lenses.
Old Engineer
OE,
All you need to know about the Tamron lens is well documented here. ... Jack.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/23A.html

Last edited by jachol; Jan 21, 2010 at 4:30 AM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:07 AM   #3

Default Thanks Jachol

Jachol...Thanks for the information. The website gave me all the answers.
Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
Jachol...Thanks for the information. The website gave me all the answers.
Old Engineer
You're welcome OE ... the site is a mine of information on Tamron lenses,

http://www.adaptall-2.com/
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote