Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:56 PM   #1

Default Wide apeture lens for Pentax K-x

I'm a dSLR newbie and about to purchase the Pentax K-x (tomorrow if all goes well). I plan on purchasing the camera with the standard 18-55mm lens to use for general purpose, travel, family events, etc.

My plan is to purchase a wide apeture lens a few months down the road once I feel more comfortable with the camera. It's mostly personal preference, I love the "wide open" look in photos, especially for casual portraits. I'd love to get a 1.4 or 1.8 lens. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for an affordable lens that would suit these needs with the Pentax K-x?

Like I said, I don't want to purchase the lens immediately but I would like to have an idea of what I'm looking for and how much I might expect to spend.

Thanks!
JillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillT View Post
I'm a dSLR newbie and about to purchase the Pentax K-x (tomorrow if all goes well). I plan on purchasing the camera with the standard 18-55mm lens to use for general purpose, travel, family events, etc.

My plan is to purchase a wide apeture lens a few months down the road once I feel more comfortable with the camera. It's mostly personal preference, I love the "wide open" look in photos, especially for casual portraits. I'd love to get a 1.4 or 1.8 lens. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for an affordable lens that would suit these needs with the Pentax K-x?

Like I said, I don't want to purchase the lens immediately but I would like to have an idea of what I'm looking for and how much I might expect to spend.

Thanks!

Hi Jill, I responded to your other post, but I'll summarize here. There are several fully automatic lenses that will do what you want. The FA50mm f/1.4 is a popular choice. FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited, DA35 f/2.0 (I think), DA55 f/1.8 (I think). Go look at someplace online like B&H or Adorama and search for all the K-mount lenses (Sigma and Tamron also have good choices). This will give you an idea of what's out there new and you can decide how much you want to spend.

For used, you can get some manual 50mm lenses for between $50 and $100 off of KEH.com (they also sell automatic lenses). They may not be the cheapest, but they are good and grade their equipment fairly. These 50mm lenses come with max aperture between f/1.4 to f/2 (you can also get an f/1.2, but it ain't cheap). The f/1.7's are pretty cheap and can give you a nicely blurred background.

Anyway, hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:49 PM   #3

Hi Jill,

Congrats in advance for your purchase of the K-x, and welcome to the forum.

My suggestion is to go out and shoot a bunch with the kit lens. You'll probably find that you prefer to shoot at certain focal lengths, so experience will show you what lenses to consider from a focal length standpoint. Taking this into account, you can then research the possibilities in that FL range. There is a freeware program that lets you graph you FL usage by analyzing the exif from you shots.

http://www.cpr.demon.nl/prog_plotf.html

If you find that you use the entire range of FLs about equally, then I'd say that another zoom might be the answer. The DA* 16-50/2.8 and Tamron 17-50/2.8 would then be the most viable alternatives IMO.

I'd also experiment turning the AF off for periods at a time to see if you should consider MF lenses. If you find that you can, there are a lot of older MF lenses that could be considered. Realize that there is a learning curve to manual focusing with any given camera, so don't get discouraged if your first efforts at this aren't ideal, and don't experiment when shooting important events, just when playing around and the results (other than being a learning experience) don't really matter. Also realize that with a faster lens, MF is both harder and easier at the same time. It's easier because you get a brighter image in the VF. It's harder because critical focus is more difficult to achieve because of narrower DOF which is usually less evident with APS C DSLRs than with 35mm bodies. One other thing to consider when experimenting with MF and the kit lens is that AF lenses won't MF quite as easily as lenses designed for MF. The focus action is much smoother and finer with the MF only lenses.

All that being said, the most affordable of the fast lenses will most likely be one of the "fast 50s). In AF, this means the Pentax F or FA 50 f1.4 or the F or FA 50 1.7. It's usually conceded that the 1.4 is not quite as sharp wide open as the 1.7 versions of these. If 50mm isn't your favorite FL, then I'd first look at any of the Pentax Ltd lines to see if one of them might match your preference. I don't recall any users who would go so far as to say that any of these even approaches being a "dog".

In many other FLs, it's impractical to mfg a lens that's faster than f2, and considerations for size and weight enters into the equation, as does price.

As you might see, this choice is tough if you don't have a definite FL in mind. Play with the camera -- the film is free. Further define you search, and I'm sure many here will chime in to support their favorites and give you some examples of what they can do.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote