Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-lenses-87/)
-   -   Just received a new lens! Sigma EX 180/3.5 Macro (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-lenses/165364-just-received-new-lens-sigma-ex-180-3-5-macro.html)

snostorm Jan 28, 2010 1:44 AM

Just received a new lens! Sigma EX 180/3.5 Macro

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Saw an "Open Box" Sigma EX 180/3.5 DG APO (IF) Macro at Adorama for well under $700 USD. I'd heard that this lens has been discontinued, at least in the K mount, the only online dealers that still apparently have stock had it priced at $899 -- and I've seen used examples going for @ $900-1K in the PF Marketplace. A couple of years ago, I passed on an EX graded A*200/4 Macro for $999, and have been kicking myself ever since as these and the FA*200/4 Macro have been commanding @ $2K or better lately. In the meantime, I've gradually built up all the possible scenarios that a lens like this would be good for, and I've rationalized myself into wanting one -- so I stuck it in the cart. I realized that this might be a return, but Adorama is a very reputable dealer, and I knew from previous experience that I could return it if there was anything I didn't like about it. . .

It arrived today -- with the original box, soft case, hood and caps, and all the papers (including warranty card), and plastic bags and such. The hood appears to never have been unpacked. 0 scratches or fingerprints -- looks like it had been opened, but never used. In my initial inspection, I noticed the aperture blades were sluggish so I got out a flashlight to look at them, but they didn't show any signs of oil on the blades. I then noticed that the aperture lever was bent inwards and was barely rubbing against the mount. I bent it back, so 5 seconds with a small screwdriver and all was snappy and well -- and I saved over $200 -- not a bad day's work. . .:D

It's slightly longer, and a little bigger in diameter than my FA*300/4.5, but the FA* is a bit heavier, probably due to the metal hood. The EX takes a 72mm filter while the FA* uses 67mm. The EX plastic hood is about .5" longer than the FA* -- all in all, they are really close in size, and I'm so used to carrying the FA*, that this lens should be pretty natural for me to carry and use. It uses the same short footed detachable tripod collar that the EX 300/2.8, EX 100-300/4, and 70-200/2.8 (I think) come with.

It was very cold and windy outside, so I limited myself to playing with it indoors, waiting until it got up to room temp. It has a focus limiter with 2 ranges -- 0.46-0.61m (18-24") and 0.67m (26") to infinity. The entire focus range takes up about 120 degrees of rotation on the focus ring. The macro range is about 65 degrees of rotation, so the normal tele focus range takes about a 55 degree turn. Both of these are pretty short, so the AF is pretty fast when the limiter is engaged, and even a full range hunt is a lot faster than one with the D FA 100 Macro (where lock to lock is about 275 degrees). I'm assuming it will be even faster in daylight, so this lens should be pretty quick outside for the tele range (fingers crossed).

From what I can see with the few shots I've taken just playing around, this lens is very sharp wide open with little or no CA/PF (I'll reserve judgment on this though) -- and it's just as sharp at both tele and macro distances. I'd say as a tele lens, this guy is easily in the same class as my A*200/2.8 and Tamron 180/2.5, which puts it in very good company indeed!

At 1:1 macro, the focusing distance is a touch over 18" from the sensor plane. The lens is about 8" long, so there's a bit over 8" in front of the lens for working distance, and the lens has internal focusing, so it doesn't get longer at macro distances. This is far enough away to not only be a bit less scary for creatures, but it also allows use of the pop up flash without the lens (sans hood) casting a shadow at the bottom of the frame, despite the length of the lens. This will be very handy for opportunistic creature shooting while I'm out birding.

I was hoping that this would be a practical K20 2nd body lens, with the K7 and either a 300/2.8 or 4.5 with TC(s) as the primary. I think this will work out very nicely for my intended use.

The DOF wide open at full macro is, of course very narrow. I'm attaching three quick shots of the back of a quarter at f3.5,f6.3, and f14. All of these are jpegs straight from the camera, just resized. K7, EX180 macro, pop up flash with a Lumiquest Soft Screen diffuser, AF C, tripping the shutter at first lock.

Scott

mtngal Jan 28, 2010 9:55 AM

All I can say is WOW! Another lens I could easily lust after (but wait, I already have a macro lens that I'm happy with). Looks very good - a wise investment.

rfortson Jan 28, 2010 10:26 AM

Congrats on your new find. Let's see a picture of the lens.

penolta Jan 29, 2010 5:53 PM

Prior to the EX, Sigma used to have two versions of this lens - f2.8 and f4.5 APO's. About three years ago, before Pentax and Sony DSLRs got popular and used lenses were really cheap, I got a copy of the 4.5 APO version in MInolta/Sony mount, which I would have graded LNIB, on screechbay for $81 ($93 with shipping). Such a deal! :p I've been looking for one in Pentax mount ever since, without success. Ahhh, for the good old days! :(

Enjoy your lens - I hope you get to make good use of it.

lesmore49 Jan 29, 2010 6:25 PM

Great lens. It's always nice to come across a nice find like your 180 Macro, but even nicer when you can buy it.:)

photograham Jan 29, 2010 10:31 PM

Very nice, nice coin toohttp://www.adsoluble.com/user/2/N.gif

snostorm Jan 29, 2010 11:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Harriet, Russ, penolta, Les, and Graham,

Thanks for taking a look.

I've attached a couple more shots of the beat up quarter and as requested, a shot of the lens, along with my FA*300/4.5 and FA 50/1.4 as a size comparator, all without hoods. the macro shots were at f6.3 and f14, handheld with the popup flash and diffuser.

BTW, a quarter is a good subject for a 1:1 macro magnification test since it's very close to 24mm wide -- with the APS C sensor at 23.4mm. . .

Scott

mtngal Jan 30, 2010 8:07 PM

Nice pictures! Not exactly a small lens, is it? But not your largest either - looks like it will be very useful.

mole Feb 1, 2010 5:53 AM

Congratulations on your fine new equipment. Looking forward to seeing more great photos with it!

mtnman Feb 7, 2010 8:39 PM

Congrats Scott, on such a great acquisition. The photos you've posted look remarkably sharp.