Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:03 AM   #11

Default Bought It!

Thanks for all your input. I went back this morning with my K100D and tried it out. It's 12 degrees F here so I didn't venture outside, but indoors it seems quite nice (I mean the lens).

I like the macro feature, allthough it's a bit of an odd set up. The zoom ring is narrow while the focus ring is quite wide and you push the focus ring out to get into the macro range which is available at all focal lengths.

It came in the original Pentax Box which includes the user manual. The original price tag is still on the box: Mfg List $340 and the store price at $244.95. I bought it off the used equipment shelf at the same store listed on the original price tag so I suppose it's possible that it never was sold from this store. I negotiated with them and we agreed on $57.00 US. I guess I can't go wrong with that.

They also have a Sears K-M mount (no A on the aperature ring) 135 mm f2.8 without any caps. I've heard that some of the old Sears glass may be good. Comments?

Thanks again for your comments.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
I negotiated with them and we agreed on $57.00 US. I guess I can't go wrong with that.
That's dirt cheap. Confirms my philosophy: search long enough and look where not everyone else look and you'll find the bargains. Nowadays few people look for Pentax gear in a camera shop, and the dealers don't really know what they are selling.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Super Moderator

That's a great price, good job!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:51 AM   #14

You'll like it. It's very well built...if I recall correctly Pop or Modern Photography did an extensive test (back when they did extensive tests..not the couple of paragraphs they do now) and if I recall (going back 25 years) it was rated highly.

Tough, great lens.

Tremendous price for what seems to be new old stock...it maybe old, you may have to focus manually...but put it on a tripod and the pix should be great.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:53 AM   #15

Helluva bargain Jim, well done. My only gripe re. the lens is that it's a heavy rascal. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:38 AM   #16

Some samples taken indoors, sorry it's 7 degree F outside today.

I'm enjoying this lens so far. Just need to work on manual focusing.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 8:09 PM   #17

Looks good! Manual focus does take practice, but it's not that difficult. I have the beep turned on and use that to confirm what I think - seems to work reasonably well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:52 AM   #18

Congratulations on a great lens at a great price! Looks like some fine photos with it already!
I have found a magnifying eyepiece to be very helpful with manual focus. (something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ng_Eyecup.html)
and, as Harriet says, practice...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote