Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:10 PM   #1

Default Tokina Releases 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens for Sony

It's true. Tokina has released their 11-16mm f/2.8 ultra wide angle lens in an Alpha mount. Check out the dpreview piece:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...116mmalpha.asp

Now, could this be reason for long-suffering Pentaxians to have hope that a Pentax-branded version of this lens will be introduced soon? Or is this just a slap in the face?

For any new Pentaxians who may not already know, Tokina and Pentax share the same parent company... Hoya. And the Pentax DA 12-24mmf/4, the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 and the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 lenses are all essentially the same lenses as corresponding Tokinas with proprietary Pentax coatings.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

it really makes little sense they have not made the 11-16 for Pentax. really is quite a slap in the face considering the ease in which they would have in converting it or rebranding it.

but we could look on the brightside and hope this good news for Alpha-shooters hints at the coming of other mounts (pentax, 4/3 maybe)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:24 PM   #3

post deleted by poster. Sorry double post

Last edited by lesmore49; Feb 1, 2010 at 3:27 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
It's true. Tokina has released their 11-16mm f/2.8 ultra wide angle lens in an Alpha mount. Check out the dpreview piece:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...116mmalpha.asp

Now, could this be reason for long-suffering Pentaxians to have hope that a Pentax-branded version of this lens will be introduced soon? Or is this just a slap in the face?

For any new Pentaxians who may not already know, Tokina and Pentax share the same parent company... Hoya. And the Pentax DA 12-24mmf/4, the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 and the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 lenses are all essentially the same lenses as corresponding Tokinas with proprietary Pentax coatings.

Add the Pentax 10-17 Fisheye to the mix.

I think that it's a marketing decision by Hoya. I wonder who designed these lenses...Pentax or Tokina ?

I wonder about advantage/disadvantage to Pentax as a brand, when Hoya markets some of the best Pentax lenses under the Tokina brand with their competitors' mounts.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:27 PM   #5
Super Moderator

actually it looks like they were jointly developed.

Last edited by Hards80; Feb 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:55 PM   #6

I feel sympathy with 'long suffering' Pentaxians - really I do. I know so well what it means to be cut off by one of the best wideangle-zooms available, certainly the one with widest aperture.

I want one on my Panasonic G1 as well, but Tokina is not making it's 11-16 for the m4/3rds either.........so...

I am actually thinking of moving to either Canon or Nikon, just to get my hands on that lens!

BTW: Would it work to get a Panasonic/Nikon-adapter and get the Tokina 11-16 with a Nikon-mount to put on my G1......?

Probably not, eh? No autoFocus, no metering...?
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:01 PM   #7
Super Moderator

it would function like the manual function lenses do. and use stop-down metering.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I feel sympathy with 'long suffering' Pentaxians - really I do. I know so well what it means to be cut off by one of the best wideangle-zooms available, certainly the one with widest aperture.

I want one on my Panasonic G1 as well, but Tokina is not making it's 11-16 for the m4/3rds either.........so...

I am actually thinking of moving to either Canon or Nikon, just to get my hands on that lens!

BTW: Would it work to get a Panasonic/Nikon-adapter and get the Tokina 11-16 with a Nikon-mount to put on my G1......?

Probably not, eh? No autoFocus, no metering...?
On the other hand Walter... Panasonic is offering that 7-14mm f/4 fixed-aperture lens for micro four-thirds. It looks like a peach:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...io_7_14mm.html

On the other hand, it's a thousand dollars. The Tokina 11-16 is $600... but I'll bet it would be more like $800-900 as a Pentax.

Gad... this is all so much money. Maybe I should just ratchet down and buy a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 or a Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5.

Last edited by Biro; Feb 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:57 PM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
For any new Pentaxians who may not already know, Tokina and Pentax share the same parent company... Hoya. .
Based on the weblink below from Hoya Corporation's wesite, I see no evidence that Tokina is part of Hoya's corporate structure either as a wholly owned subsidiary or one that it has any ownership in. On the other hand, Pentax is clearly listed. I agree that Tokina makes lenses for Pentax, but would like to know definitively if they are under the same ownership. Not withstanding that, their glass is top notch!

http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/compan...any_02_02.html

Last edited by Wingman; Feb 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:01 PM   #10

I have the Tokina 11 - 16, it is so much fun to shoot with it never comes off my D-90!!!!! Get it if you can!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote