Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:44 PM   #1

Default Fast Prime for the K-x

My brother was wonder how I achieve the nice bokem effect with my T1i. And I explain that I was using my ef 85mm 1.8 when I took the shot he like. So now the question that I can not answer for him. What is a good fast prime for the pentax K-x something in the 50-85mm range. Thanks for any advice you all may have.
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:35 PM   #2

FA 77 f1.8 Ltd.
FA 50 f1.4
DA 70 f2.4 Ltd.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages. None are cheap, though the FA 50 1.4 is reasonably priced.

If on a budget and don't mind manual focus:

A 50 f1.7
M 50 1.7

If you can find one, there's:

A*85 f1.4
FA*85 f1.4
50 f1.2
A 50 f1.2
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:25 AM   #3

Those were the only 3 from pentax I have read about, have you had any experience with a 3 party prime. Like the sigma 50mm? If so how does it campare against the pentax 50mm.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:55 AM   #4

Sorry - I only have experience with Kiron and Vivitar Series One lenses when it comes to third party. Since I'm a landscape/macro person and hate people photography, I have no experience with most lenses in this range.

Forgot to mention the M 50 f1.4 - but I wouldn't recommend it. I have both the 1.7 and 1.4 but find the 1.4 too soft wide open. On the other hand, the 1.4 does nicely reversed in front of a 105 macro to get larger than 1:1 pictures.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 1:05 AM   #5

Thank you for your quick response.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:15 AM   #6

To put it another way -

I know lots of hobbyists and pros who use the Limited lenses.

I know even more who use the FA 50 f1.4, which has a reputation for excellent sharpness, color and contrast.

I know people who shoot people using one of the f2.8 zooms whether they be made by Sigma, Tamron or Pentax. They each seem to have their own happy owners.

I know people who use their macro lenses for shooting the occasional portrait, and there's a whole long list of good macro lenses out there made by all kinds of manufacturers.

I don't know anyone who uses the Sigma 50 on a Pentax. I'm not saying anything against the lens, just that everyone I know has made other choices.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 5:44 PM   #7

I also am very fond of the Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 lens. It's remarkably sharp with smooth bokeh, and focuses very quickly on my K20 and my wife's K200. I'm sure it would perform similarly on your Kx.

I have heard nice things about the Sigma 50mm EX f/1.4, but it's more expensive than the Pentax FA 50. The Sigma lens may be great, but I can personally recommend the Pentax.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:24 PM   #8

Thank for the info.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:28 PM   #9
Super Moderator

the Sigma 50 1.4 has quite rave reviews for all mounts. It is large, heavy and kind of expensive but tends to outperform most camera-makers similar models. though i can't really speak specifically to the sigma vs pentax's
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote