Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:03 AM   #11

Good Morning Ned, Yes, I can take a set of comparison shots with the two lenses. It will be tomorrow, since its still dark here and I need to leave for a meeting and will get back very late this evening.

I have the original kit lens (version I). Pentax came out with a version II for the K20 - a slightly updated design (since the K20 went to 14MP, and the indication was the lens needed a bit more resolution for the K20's sensor). With the K7, Pentax moved to the WR that is a sealed version II.

I was very happy with the kit lens on my K100, in fact I still use it with the body. I picked up the 16-45 because it was wider (for landscapes) and was suppose to be a bit better. It has come in very handy now with the K20 body.

One thing you might want to consider, is that with the 16-45 being a reversed design lens (which is that at 16mm the lens extends out, and at 45mm it is fully retracted - just the reverse than what you would expect), it tends to insert a "shadow" in to a flash picture when using the on body pop up flash. What happens is that with the lens extended and the flash on the body, it creates a shadow sometimes in the picture. So, for indoor use the kit lens being a smaller lens that does not have the same physical size and attributes, would probably be a better choice. Also, the 16-45 is over twice the physical size (length and girth) of the kit lens. So, for carrying around, the kit is very nice, as it fits in your pocket very easily. The 16-45, I would not consider it very pocketable at all, unless you have a Kangaroo's pouch available.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:07 PM   #12

Thanks for the good info, interest observer.

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:08 PM   #13

Sorry about the delay in the comparison shots. I had planned to use both the K100 and K20 bodies, since I only have the 18-55 version 1 and version 2 was paired with the K20 body. I found that my K100 is for some reason having an exposure problem, so here is the K20 based shots.

I used 45mm on each lens, at f8 so that each lens has a pretty equal chance. Afternoon sun and light, using somewhat of a landscape.

Here is the 18-55 kit lens, iso 100, f8 @ 1/180 sec
Attached Images

Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:09 PM   #14

Here is the 16-45, same shot...

16-45, iso 100, f8 @ 1/125 sec and I do not know why this image metered differently than the other shot with the other lens

OK - I reshot it with the same shutter speed so that its apples to apples
16-45, iso 100, f8 @ 1/180 sec .... plus its 20 minutes later and the sun is setting pretty rapidly, so its a bit darker.
Attached Images

Last edited by interested_observer; Feb 19, 2010 at 7:46 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:20 PM   #15

Here is a 100% image

18-55
Attached Images

Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:20 PM   #16

100% image

16-45 and updated this also...
Attached Images

Last edited by interested_observer; Feb 19, 2010 at 7:45 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:32 AM   #17

Hi interested observe. Many thanks, indeed, for getting back to me with these shots. My I am sure Arizona must supply a lot of beauty for picture taking.

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote