Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:04 PM   #1

Default Which Pentax with lense is good offer

If anyone knowledgeable about lenses could offer some assistance, below is a link for buying a Pentax K-7... note, anything above 1117 Pounds, forget it... I don't know enough about these lense names, or really, HOW GOOD they are... If you could help me by telling me what you think, it would be great appreciated.

All the best.

Ned

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/r/pentax-k-7
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:58 PM   #2

You probably would be better off asking in the DSLR section. The Pentax/Samsung forum is pretty active and has some really knowledgeable people.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
You probably would be better off asking in the DSLR section. The Pentax/Samsung forum is pretty active and has some really knowledgeable people.

brian

Hmmmm... I went to "Forum Home" ... "Pentax" ... "New thread"... I thought I was in the Pentax/Samsung forum without a doubt.... Thanks... but I am not sure what to do other than what I did above.

Ned
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:40 PM   #4

This is the Digital Point and shoot forum, you need to scroll down the page to the digital SLR section, where there are two forums for Pentax - one for cameras and another for lenses.
brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:43 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I moved this thread to Pentax-Lenses for you.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:06 PM   #6

Thanks for moving it to right section... Still new getting around withing forum. Thanks a mil. Ned
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:23 PM   #7

I think I'd be mostly temped by the package that has the WR version of the 18-55 kit lens and the DA 55-300 lens (1110) as that would give you a weather sealed lens and I like the 55-300.

If weather sealing isn't that important to you, and you don't need a telephoto lens right away, then the package with the DA 16-45 might be nice - it's a step up from the kit lens, and is cheaper than the two lens kit above.

If you aren't sure where you want to go with your photography, then get the camera plus 18-55 WR lens (849) only and save your money for additional lenses after you see what the kit lens can and cannot do (will you want a macro lens before you want a telephoto? Or a faster lens with less range than the 55-300? Or weather sealing in a telephoto, which the 55-300 doesn't have?).

I think the kit with the 18-55 and 50-200, case and card wasn't the best buy. The description doesn't mention WR with the lenses which means that they aren't the weather sealed versions of the lenses.

The one package I would not buy is the one with the 18-200 lens - it's a Tamron lens that doesn't have a very good reputation. If you want a zoom lens that covers that much range, get the camera only and buy the Tamron 18-250 separately, a better lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:15 PM   #8

Hi and Good Evening, In terms of suggestions, its difficult to add any more than what Harriet (mtngal) has written. The kit lens and the 55-300 are a wonderful combination and will essentially provide you with a lens for just about every occasion. From there, its really the type of photography that you enjoy best - landscapes, birding, wildlife, etc. With the snow in the winter, the K7's improved white balance should help a lot.

I also have the 16-45 and it is a step above the kit 18-55, however based on what your needs are either should work very well. The kit lens is a wonderful lens in its own right.

We have some friends who have a farm over on the Russian boarder in JOUTSENO, FINLAND. Two of our dogs, Ingrid and Nigel are over there - enjoying the snow. Actually, they are probably piled up together keeping warm....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I think I'd be mostly temped by the package that has the WR version of the 18-55 kit lens and the DA 55-300 lens (1110) as that would give you a weather sealed lens and I like the 55-300.

If weather sealing isn't that important to you, and you don't need a telephoto lens right away, then the package with the DA 16-45 might be nice - it's a step up from the kit lens, and is cheaper than the two lens kit above.

If you aren't sure where you want to go with your photography, then get the camera plus 18-55 WR lens (849) only and save your money for additional lenses after you see what the kit lens can and cannot do (will you want a macro lens before you want a telephoto? Or a faster lens with less range than the 55-300? Or weather sealing in a telephoto, which the 55-300 doesn't have?).

I think the kit with the 18-55 and 50-200, case and card wasn't the best buy. The description doesn't mention WR with the lenses which means that they aren't the weather sealed versions of the lenses.

The one package I would not buy is the one with the 18-200 lens - it's a Tamron lens that doesn't have a very good reputation. If you want a zoom lens that covers that much range, get the camera only and buy the Tamron 18-250 separately, a better lens.

Hi mtngal,

Hey, many thanks, indeed, for your kind help. I must say your advice in this and other threads has been spot on and quite helpful.

All the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
Old Feb 16, 2010, 4:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Hi and Good Evening, In terms of suggestions, its difficult to add any more than what Harriet (mtngal) has written. The kit lens and the 55-300 are a wonderful combination and will essentially provide you with a lens for just about every occasion. From there, its really the type of photography that you enjoy best - landscapes, birding, wildlife, etc. With the snow in the winter, the K7's improved white balance should help a lot.

I also have the 16-45 and it is a step above the kit 18-55, however based on what your needs are either should work very well. The kit lens is a wonderful lens in its own right.

We have some friends who have a farm over on the Russian boarder in JOUTSENO, FINLAND. Two of our dogs, Ingrid and Nigel are over there - enjoying the snow. Actually, they are probably piled up together keeping warm....

Hyvää Päivää ja moi, Interested Observer.

Thanks for the info. Both you and Harriet, if that is her name, you have given some good advice that will certainly help in my initial purchase either in March or April. I have been thinking along the lines that you and Harriet have mentioned... again, it all helps, so many kind thanks, indeed.

Haven't been Joutseno yet... I am sure your dogs are enjoying the winter. Sure is beautiful this time of year... not so cold as it was in January.

By the way, if you have a kit lens and since you have the 16-45... if you are so moved to take a "comparison shot" at the same mm... it would be really great to see if there is any difference. Harriet had a great point about the kit lenses... but I would like to get my hands on the 16-45 as well, for indoor shots... then I will save up others.

When I bought my MZ-5n in England, the lense that came with it was not so hot, it is 28-80... Soooo... I just want to get this purchase right, a good camera (K-7) and a lense... Glad to read feedback about the kit lenses.

Thanks a mil... Do take care and all the best there in Arizona.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland