Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:25 PM   #1

Default How about these two lenses for the K-7???

I found a deal from Pixmania... for a Pentax K-7 and two lenses. From what I can see, these are good lenses... I hope they have a high rating, higher than 7... For a Pentax K-7, a DA 18-55mm f/3,5-5,6 AL WR and a DA 50-200mm f/4-5,6 ED WR ---> all for 1 291,03 (euros) This is bit more than I would like to spend, I might have to drop the one... or do you think I get a good deal when buying two...

Harriet (mtngal) et. al., you guys out there? What saith ye WRT above??

Cheers and all the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:51 PM   #2

Both lenses are weather sealed, a distinct advantage (for me at least). I wasn't crazy about the optics on the DA 50-200 I own, but I think I got a poor copy. Others like theirs. The DA 55-300 is a better lens, IMHO, but it isn't sealed. Which is going to be more important to you - the weather sealing or the longer range?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:59 PM   #3

Mtngal is correct -- the 50-200 is a good lens, but the 55-300 is sharper. I had the 18-55 with my K100D, and it was quite good. I understand that version 2 of that lens is better still, and now the newest version is weather sealed.

Several years ago I bought my K 100D with the 18-55 and the 50-200, and those lenses served me well for a long time. I eventually upgraded to better lenses, but I found those two lenses were a very good "starter kit."
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:57 AM   #4

Ah, good to know. Thanks. I would have thought it would be just the opposite, but I will take your word for it... Sorry to drive you guys up the tree with my questions... I just want to spend my money wisely and NOT have "a lense" that I own but don't use much. But many thanks for your help and patience.

All the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Ah, good to know. Thanks. I would have thought it would be just the opposite, but I will take your word for it... Sorry to drive you guys up the tree with my questions... I just want to spend my money wisely and NOT have "a lense" that I own but don't use much. But many thanks for your help and patience.
Ned you never "drive us crazy" with questions. All of us are here because we like our Pentax gear and enjoy reading about the experiences of others and sharing our experience. All of us have been in the same place as you are now, so we understand.

I have never used the 50-200 WR, but I have the WR version of the 18-55 kit lens, and I love it. I have a couple of more expensive lenses in that same range, but still find myself changing to the 18-55 WR if light will allow because I really like its results.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:10 PM   #6

Hi Paul! Thanks for your kind words! and advice about lenses. I will get the 18-55 WR since I found a place here in Finland where I can get the kit cheaper... which only adds to my suspense... I can hardly wait till I get my camera... but I have to wait till March or April... All the best to you there in AR. Take care.

Ned