Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Default But then there is the Pentax DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL

I am also looking at another package... and according to dpreview... this is an great lense... it is the Pentax DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL. The price of the Pentax with the above lense is:
WAS: € 1 645
NOW: € 1 279 Inc. VAT

Thanks for any feedback.

Ned

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:07 PM   #2

I have a Pentax 16-45 for over 2 years and use on my Pentax K10D and KM bodies.

I've taken thousands of pictures with this lens and I've been very happy with it. Never a problem, it's (touch wood) very reliable and I've used in frigid to very hot, to everything in between Canadian weather. Our Canadian weather is probably similar to Finnish weather.

It's a great , general wide angle lens I find. I primarily use it to take pictures of vintage cars, hot rods, vintage motorcycles and I'm impressed with the clarity of the pictures and the colour rendition.

I'm a nit picker for quality and I find that my kit 18-55, although a good lens, IMO, does not match the picture quality of the 16-45...to the point that I invariably leave the 18-55 on a shelf and whether using the K10D or KM will attach the 16-45.

I highly recommend this lens.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I'm a nit picker for quality and I find that my kit 18-55, although a good lens, IMO, does not match the picture quality of the 16-45...to the point that I invariably leave the 18-55 on a shelf and whether using the K10D or KM will attach the 16-45.
Hi lesmore! Hey, many thanks, indeed, for help feedback... I am "nit picker" too, a first-born of first-borns... so for me, it is about quality and functionality... Also, I don't want to get lense that I am not going to use... I am sure that Canada has some real cold winters, too... so if you are getting by, I am sure I will too.

Thanks so much getting back to me.

All the best.

Ned
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:01 PM   #4

The 16-45 is a step up from the kit lens, but it's not weather sealed. It's faster (though not as fast as one of the f2.8 lenses) and is usually well liked by those who have them. If you aren't that interested in weather sealing, then it would be a nice upgrade.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:11 PM   #5

As I said in another post, I started with the 18-55 lit lens. After a few years I upgraded to the 16-45, and I have been very happy with it. I also have used it in bitterly cold temperatures, and it has performed very well. It is much larger than the 18-55 kit lens, and it casts a shadow when used with the pop-up flash on the K100D and on my K20D. I don't know if the flash on the K7 rises any higher than the two camera models I'm familiar with, but if you take a lot of indoor flash pictures, that is something to consider.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:03 AM   #6

Hmmm I wonder why it cast shadows... but glad you like it mtnman, and glad to here, as with lesmore, that it handles well in cold... Perhaps I can get the 18-55 Weather sealed, too... if I can swing the funds....

Thanks mtngal for help.

All the best everyone.

Ned
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:34 AM   #7

The on-board flash only goes up so high. What happens with long lenses is that they are long enough to block some of the light from the flash from reaching the subject. You'll see a shadow at the bottom of the frame. A really wide angle lens like the DA 12-24 will do the same thing. An external flash will take care of this problem.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:58 AM   #8

Oh, good to know.

By the way, mtngal... did some research on my lunch break WRT lenses and my purchase of the Pentax K-7... here is what I am planning to buy.

The kit comes with the Pentax K-7 PLUS a DA 18-55 F/3.5 AL WR... all for 997 euros. In addition to that, I would like to get the Pentax SMC-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited for 363,50 euros. Later, much later, when my wallet recovers from the shock of this purchase, I would like to have the SMC DA 17-70 F/4 [IF] SDM, and then the 300mm telephoto... not sure which one exactly... Anywhooo, that's the game plan.

Thanks for the info about why a lense can cast shadows...

All the best.

Ned
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hmmm I wonder why it cast shadows... but glad you like it mtnman, and glad to here, as with lesmore, that it handles well in cold... Perhaps I can get the 18-55 Weather sealed, too... if I can swing the funds....

Thanks mtngal for help.

All the best everyone.

Ned
The 16-45 does cast shadows at certain points with the pop up flash. Mtngal is right. I also get shadows on some other lenses with the pop up and as Mtngal says a separate flash will take care of the problem.

You could always check this out in the store, before you buy.

Last edited by lesmore49; Feb 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:54 PM   #10

Thanks Lesmore! I can go with the 16-45 if Pentax SMC-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited is too expensive... Otherwise I can get it later... And now I get it about the shadows... thanks.

Things are a little different here in Finland, at least where I am located... I don't know of any stores that sell the Pentax K-7, let alone have any worthwhile lenses... That's another reason why I am so happy to have discovered this forum, I have learned much in addition to what I learn online from various websites.

All the best and happy shooting there in Canada. Hope you are enjoying the Olympics.

Ned