Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:32 PM   #11

If you want something faster than f2.8 you'd be looking at primes if you go with modern Pentax lenses. What's your budget?

As far as high quality lenses, any lens that's marked with a * or designated as Limited will be excellent. I have several of these - the DA*50-135 f2.8, FA 77 f1.8 Limited, DA*200 f2.8, A*300 and DA*300. The 50-135 is an awesome lens - highly recommended. But it's not quite as good as the 77 Ltd. That lens is in a class almost by itself (though I understand the other two FA Limited lenses are similar in quality). Some people prefer the DA Limited lenses over the FA - they aren't as fast but they are smaller (the pancake lenses) and have better coatings (they are designed for digital cameras). The 77 does have a certain amount of purple fringing wide open.

For things wider - I don't have any of the fast normal lenses (well, I do have the M 50mm 1.4 and 1.7 lenses, along with the SMC 24 mm f2.8, all oldie but goodie lenses). I briefly owned a DA*16-50 but the first one I ordered was defective (obviously decentered) and the replacement was damaged in transit - the box looked like it had fallen off the truck. That one was really sharp (I can see why many love this lens) but the zoom ring was really stiff so I returned it for a refund. I'm now trying to either convince myself that I don't need weather sealing (which I do want badly) and should buy either the new Sigma or the Tamron (Tamron having the lead at the moment because I also own the K100 which doesn't have SDM capability) or the FA 31 Limited (which is a whole lot more money than any of the other choices but every time I see one for sale I really, really want it). I'll probably give the DA*16-50 another try as I really want weather sealing and while the 18-55 WR lens is better than I had expected (better than my version 1 kit lens), it's not as good as the DA* and I've developed a real love for better lenses.

There are a number of choices when it comes to old lenses, especially if you don't mind manual focus.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:45 AM   #12

Thanks folks. Wow, you have a lot of lenses mtngal!
About the Sigma: does it have IS? Isn't it redundant with the camera IS of the Pentax?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:11 AM   #13

newer sigma os lens can work with pentax and sony cameras but i dont think its any benefit over the incamera stablisation until you get to very long lenses
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:20 AM   #14

I've heard nothing but good things about the Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 lens. Seems like it is in your range and the 16-45 would be a good wide angle for you to add to the mix.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:03 AM   #15

Yep. Seems that I will have to relay again in two lenses with the k7. I ask myself if I go Canon 7d may be I'll find a good 18-125... Kind of over killing camera to me.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:55 AM   #16

had a look through the canon lens range and the lenses about the focal range you wanted are not constant fast wide aperture lens - if your content with that sort of aperture range then the 18-250 is just as fast and also provides more telephoto range if you ever want it. i have heard some good things about that lens, thought its been disocntinued now so is starting to get hard to find
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:00 AM   #17

Sigma is leaving the IS in their lenses for both Sony, Oly and Pentax, probably to save money rather than come out with a separate lens without it. Since you have the option of turning IS off on both the lens and the camera (from what I understand), it would give you a choice which to use. I'd be interested in getting one just to try out both methods and see if there really is a difference between the two methods of stabilization. I know that with a 300mm lens there would be an advantage of in-lens stabilization, you can see the scene stabilized before you take the shot. Just don't think that at shorter focal lengths it makes that much difference pre-shot.

Ordo - you have to be careful when you become a Pentaxian. Many of us get hit with a serious, terminal condition called LBA (and it's associated CBA) - Lens Buying Addiction. Mine is really out of hand - I have more lenses than what I listed above (which are just the * or Limited lenses I own). I also have DA 10-17 fish-eye, DA 12-24, version 1 kit lens, Takumar (K mount, not an M42 Super Tak) 135mm, Vivitar Series One 105 mm macro, and DA 55-300. I also still have the DA 50-200 (broken, need to toss out), Kiron 80-200 (oil on aperture blades, still haven't done anything about it), SMC 24-50 (a really lousy zoom lens that had been my fathers, not sure if it's an M or not, but it doesn't even make a good paperweight). And I'm not done yet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:50 AM   #18

By God! I can't afford another addiction in my life, but being a "Pentaxian" sounds so cool!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:19 AM   #19

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Ordo,

Check you Private Messages for a note from me

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Hello Pentax fans!
I'm thinking on a K7 as an all purpose-travel dslr. I need a premium, luminous middle range zoom lens to shot wide angle landscapes, portraits and random picks. No sports, no action picks, no ultra zoom needed. May be some macros and few night scenes. Does such lens exist? I appreciate your advices.
I believe this one (Sigma 16-50mmF2.8 macro) is still available

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33738739

I have instead the discontinued Sigma 24-60mm F2.8

They are the affordable alternative of the DA*zoom

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote