Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:21 AM   #21

Plenty of great advice here, just to add that I've used the Tamron 18-250 a lot in the past year, and find it a very useful lens "out on the trail" when I can't be changing lenses. Considering the wide range, it does have fine IQ.
Also very pleased with the Pentax A 70-210. It's manual focus, but amazingly (to me) sharp even wide open, and great color quality.
Be sure to check out KEH.com for good deals on used lenses...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:21 PM   #22

Lots of options. Thanks!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:10 AM   #23

I own the older Sigma 28-105 f4 for just the light weight carry around medium zoom you describe. It can be had for under $100. It is amazingly responsive on my Kx. It weights next to nothing and focuses in decent light almost instantaneously.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:09 PM   #24

I see youve got a lot of hel pand great reccomendations.

I skimmed through and couldnt find a budget for your lens purchase. Perhaps you are lucky enough not to have one?

I just wanted to share my experiences with the tamron 28-200. This has been an excellent lens for variety.

Taking it into downtown DC I was able to get everything from macro shots to portraits and landscapes. At 28mm it is very crisp and wide and can definitely render you some great landscapes. Low light i have noticed it does not shine, all puns intended, but that is to be expected. I picked this up for 105 + shipping on ebay and its a workhorse. Very fine quality for portraits as well, seems very sharp up until 150 to my eyes

Last edited by NMRecording; Apr 8, 2010 at 1:14 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:13 PM   #25

Forgot to mention, this lens is very light weight and very compact at 28mm so its a great travelling lens and fits in even the smallest bags. when i say not good in low light, I generally mean that the auto focus tends to hunt a bit, but if this lens were any better I would have had to pay 5 times the amount for it :-D was a steal
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote