Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:33 PM   #1

Default Need help

So I purchased a SMC Pentax-A Zoom 1:4 70~210mm. This is for my Pentax K-x. When I put the lens on I am unable to shoot. Everything on the screen is just blinking. Any reasons why this could be happening?

Thanks,

Hector
StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:01 PM   #2

Hector - Congratulations on getting a great little lens - the Pentax A 70-210 is one of my favorites!

To get it to work right on your K-X you need to change one setting in the menu. You'll only have to do this once.

Assuming your K-X menu is similar to my K-M, here are the steps:

Turn on camera.
Press menu button on the back.
Scroll to submenu C, number 3.
Scroll down to #19 - "using aperture ring"
Choose #2 - "permitted."

Should work now! Enjoy!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:10 PM   #3

Hi StyleXP90,

There are 2 more possibilities I can think of off the top of my head -- The aperture ring is not in the "A" position (you have to depress the little button on the ring and turn it to the A position. Release the button, and you should be locked in.

Or -- the contacts on the lens are not making good contact -- wipe them off with a lint free cloth and make sure that each of the contacts have some tension to them.

Congrats on a great lens -- probably one of the best deals available for the mount.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Hector - Congratulations on getting a great little lens - the Pentax A 70-210 is one of my favorites!

To get it to work right on your K-X you need to change one setting in the menu. You'll only have to do this once.

Assuming your K-X menu is similar to my K-M, here are the steps:

Turn on camera.
Press menu button on the back.
Scroll to submenu C, number 3.
Scroll down to #19 - "using aperture ring"
Choose #2 - "permitted."

Should work now! Enjoy!
Mole,

Yes!! Thank you soo much! You're a lifesaver!!

I thought I was going to have to return it, but not anymore!!!!!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:58 PM   #5

You should only have to change the menu option to allow aperture ring use when you aren't using the lens in "A" - i.e., when you are setting the aperture on the lens itself. The nice thing about the A lenses is that you can put the lens to the A setting and then the camera can control the aperture.

If you do set the aperture on the lens, you'll need to use "M" mode - any other mode (Av, Tv, P etc.) and the camera won't stop down the lens when you push the shutter - you'll be shooting wide-open. Also when using M mode - you'll either need to set the shutter speed yourself or else push the green button (does the Kx have a green button? There may be a different button you'll need to push), which will temporarily stop down the lens and allow the camera to set the shutter speed.

My recommendation is to put the lens to the A setting and leave it that way. Its much easier to use the camera settings to control aperture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
You should only have to change the menu option to allow aperture ring use when you aren't using the lens in "A" - i.e., when you are setting the aperture on the lens itself. The nice thing about the A lenses is that you can put the lens to the A setting and then the camera can control the aperture.

If you do set the aperture on the lens, you'll need to use "M" mode - any other mode (Av, Tv, P etc.) and the camera won't stop down the lens when you push the shutter - you'll be shooting wide-open. Also when using M mode - you'll either need to set the shutter speed yourself or else push the green button (does the Kx have a green button? There may be a different button you'll need to push), which will temporarily stop down the lens and allow the camera to set the shutter speed.

My recommendation is to put the lens to the A setting and leave it that way. Its much easier to use the camera settings to control aperture.
Thank you so much for this great info. To answer your question, yes the kx does have a green button.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:21 AM   #7

Here is a link to an excellent tutorial on using Pentax manual lenses. www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Here is a link to an excellent tutorial on using Pentax manual lenses. www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181
And another good one here..... http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=24921509
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:46 PM   #9

Thanks so much for these links! They will be a help!