Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:33 PM   #1
Member
 
StyleXP90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 88
Default Need help

So I purchased a SMC Pentax-A Zoom 1:4 70~210mm. This is for my Pentax K-x. When I put the lens on I am unable to shoot. Everything on the screen is just blinking. Any reasons why this could be happening?

Thanks,

Hector
StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,522
Default

Hector - Congratulations on getting a great little lens - the Pentax A 70-210 is one of my favorites!

To get it to work right on your K-X you need to change one setting in the menu. You'll only have to do this once.

Assuming your K-X menu is similar to my K-M, here are the steps:

Turn on camera.
Press menu button on the back.
Scroll to submenu C, number 3.
Scroll down to #19 - "using aperture ring"
Choose #2 - "permitted."

Should work now! Enjoy!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

Hi StyleXP90,

There are 2 more possibilities I can think of off the top of my head -- The aperture ring is not in the "A" position (you have to depress the little button on the ring and turn it to the A position. Release the button, and you should be locked in.

Or -- the contacts on the lens are not making good contact -- wipe them off with a lint free cloth and make sure that each of the contacts have some tension to them.

Congrats on a great lens -- probably one of the best deals available for the mount.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:17 PM   #4
Member
 
StyleXP90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Hector - Congratulations on getting a great little lens - the Pentax A 70-210 is one of my favorites!

To get it to work right on your K-X you need to change one setting in the menu. You'll only have to do this once.

Assuming your K-X menu is similar to my K-M, here are the steps:

Turn on camera.
Press menu button on the back.
Scroll to submenu C, number 3.
Scroll down to #19 - "using aperture ring"
Choose #2 - "permitted."

Should work now! Enjoy!
Mole,

Yes!! Thank you soo much! You're a lifesaver!!

I thought I was going to have to return it, but not anymore!!!!!
StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

You should only have to change the menu option to allow aperture ring use when you aren't using the lens in "A" - i.e., when you are setting the aperture on the lens itself. The nice thing about the A lenses is that you can put the lens to the A setting and then the camera can control the aperture.

If you do set the aperture on the lens, you'll need to use "M" mode - any other mode (Av, Tv, P etc.) and the camera won't stop down the lens when you push the shutter - you'll be shooting wide-open. Also when using M mode - you'll either need to set the shutter speed yourself or else push the green button (does the Kx have a green button? There may be a different button you'll need to push), which will temporarily stop down the lens and allow the camera to set the shutter speed.

My recommendation is to put the lens to the A setting and leave it that way. Its much easier to use the camera settings to control aperture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:24 AM   #6
Member
 
StyleXP90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
You should only have to change the menu option to allow aperture ring use when you aren't using the lens in "A" - i.e., when you are setting the aperture on the lens itself. The nice thing about the A lenses is that you can put the lens to the A setting and then the camera can control the aperture.

If you do set the aperture on the lens, you'll need to use "M" mode - any other mode (Av, Tv, P etc.) and the camera won't stop down the lens when you push the shutter - you'll be shooting wide-open. Also when using M mode - you'll either need to set the shutter speed yourself or else push the green button (does the Kx have a green button? There may be a different button you'll need to push), which will temporarily stop down the lens and allow the camera to set the shutter speed.

My recommendation is to put the lens to the A setting and leave it that way. Its much easier to use the camera settings to control aperture.
Thank you so much for this great info. To answer your question, yes the kx does have a green button.
StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:21 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mount Shasta, California
Posts: 1,525
Default

Here is a link to an excellent tutorial on using Pentax manual lenses. www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Here is a link to an excellent tutorial on using Pentax manual lenses. www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181
And another good one here..... http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=24921509
__________________
Big Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:46 PM   #9
Member
 
StyleXP90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 88
Default

Thanks so much for these links! They will be a help!
StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:18 PM.