Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:57 PM   #1

Default best pentax lense for car pictures

hi, I am absolutely new to these Dslr camera's but I am going to try to learn,
I read all the great opinions concerning choices of camera's on earlier threads, and this forum helped me make my choice !!!!
, I found a nice k-x .. with the kit lense and then got a great deal on a 55-200 WR lense also, ,, I like taking all kinds of pictures but my main focus would be for work,, I am in the car business and most of my pictures will be of cars, from aprox 4 angles on the outside and then interior pictures,
do I have what I need with these 2 lenses or would another lense be recommended for me ?, I need my pictures to be the best possible, and cost isn't so important,, if I need it... although I like to save a buck!!!! .. I paid 484 for the kx kit, and then 139 for the 55-200 WR lense,, thanks for any help
pazzinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:57 PM   #2

My simple advice would be to use the kit lens(I am assuming 18-55) for most close-up shots of the interior/exterior. If you want a little compression effect on an exterior shot, you can use the 55-200 at the longer length, from further away. My son owns his own car business, and over the past several years I have shot a lot of his cars for him, and while a Dslr is not required, it will give you some flexibility, especially in the area of DOF and high ISO requirement (when required). I would say that 99% of the shots I have taken for him were with the kit lens. Use what you have, and soon enough you will know where(if) your present kenses are falling short in the expectation department.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:07 PM   #3

I juswt re-read your original post, and since you are new to Dslrs, you may want to know, most pictures right out of the camera look crappy, compared to what they will look like after minimal post-processing(levels, brightness and contrast,saturation, unsharp mask). Knowing what I now know, I would stick with those lenses, because they are both good, and invest in some software for post-process. I use photoshop Elements (under $100), although there are free ones like Picassa3 from Google which may get you started.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:54 PM   #4

I take a lot of car pictures...where the vehicle is parked. Vintage cars, hot rods, sports cars, etc.

I generally use my 16-45 wide angle. It's very sharp and the colour rendition is excellent.

However I would also agree with Hawgwild....I have an 18-55 kit lens that came on my KM (K2000) and it's really quite good...not as good as the 16-45...but then the 16-45 costs more and should be better.

The 18-55 is quite good at wide angle settings and these are the settings I go for.

Couple hints...shoot real low...looking up...try to keep away from the 3/4 view...'catalogue' shots.

Remember light is your friend...I especially like shooting when the sun comes up and the hour before the sun goes down...
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:55 PM   #5

I only occasionally shoot cars, and think that the advice you have already is good.

If you find after a while that your close-up interior detail shots could be sharper then you could buy a macro lens, but I don't think its necessary.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:37 PM   #6

I really appreciate the response, I will focus on using my kit lense, 18-55 and experiment with the 55-200 also, .. .....is the 16-45 you use a pentax lense? what is aprox cost?
pazzinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:23 AM   #7

I am getting a new camera (Pentax) and lense... I am considering the 16-45 mm and the 17-70 as they are higher quality than the kit lenses... but I am looking at these lenses, since I am getting the body for nearly 300 euros less... thus making it a better option to get a quality lense. So, do look in to the 16-45, I know you won't be disappointed... price is not so bad, but it is more than a kit lense for sure...
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:13 AM   #8

I've shot a lot with the Kit lens and it will do the job you need done. The 16-45 will up grade your lens set with a little better photo IQ (Image Quality) but for now use the Kit lens. I get amazing shots with mine. The 16-45 is a Pentax lens and is of higher quality than the Kit lens but the 16-50 DA* is a faster lens that will work better in low light.These cost more but each is a step above the other.

DA 16-45 ...http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms...DA16-45f4.html

Da 17-70......http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms...DA17-70f4.html

DA* 16-50.....http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms...16-50f2.8.html
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzinthru View Post
I really appreciate the response, I will focus on using my kit lense, 18-55 and experiment with the 55-200 also, .. .....is the 16-45 you use a pentax lense? what is aprox cost?

The 16-45 is a Pentax lens is $ 380 or so at Amazon. I paid about the same in CAD $ in Canada back in 2007.

This site is Amazon and has the price, reviews and the description of the 16-45 lens.

Adorama and I'm sure a lot of other US companies sell this lens. These are just some examples of stores for you to check.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...C7IrBvaIDQpRBw

Here's some more reviews of the Pentax 16-45:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...m-F4-Lens.html

Hope this helps,

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Mar 9, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:07 AM   #10

After using one for about a week, I am VERY pleased with the DA 16-45. It is sharp and has excellent color rendition. Got mine used at KEH.com. Have also seen them fairly frequently for sale used at the Pentax Forums Marketplace.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote