Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:18 PM   #1

Default Pentax K1000 Pentax K mount adaptability

I just found out my canon lenses are a no go so I found a pentax K1000 on ebay with two lenses and a telephoto lens for 63 bucks.

There was no shot of the lens itself other than a side view so I dunno if i can use it on manual with my K20d.

So far no specs on the lens mount itself, most sites look like its completely compatible , grouping it next to k10 and k20. but Ive also seen several extremely different pics of the k1000 model itself. What is your take on this?

If it fits that would be pretty sweet.

Heres a pic. Think itll fit with the k20d?
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:19 PM   #2

I forgot to add, ebay eliminated my chance to view the photos or the auction again after i confirmed the payment. There was under 1 min left so it was on a whim. 50mm, and a 55-500mm

Last edited by NMRecording; Mar 7, 2010 at 8:22 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:46 PM   #3

I never used a Pentax film SLR, so I don't know for sure, but Pentax is legendary for its backward compatibility of its lenses. therefore I would expect the lenses should fit your K20D. I also don't know if the auto-aperture will work though Ii would guess that it will.

There are many on this forum who know much more about this than I do, and I'm sure someone else will chime in.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:02 PM   #4

The K1000 uses a K-mount so the lenses will work on any of the Pentax dSLR cameras. It depends on which lenses they are as to what capability they might have. I suspect the 50mm is probably an M 50 mm f1.7 (or f2.0 or f1.4), which means that it's a manual lens so you'd have to set the aperture on the lens and push a button to meter (there's a bit more that needs explaining for using manual lenses but they are settings and once set not something you need to think about), and manually focus.

I'm curious what the 55-500 lens is - I don't think Pentax ever made something like that. It'll be really interesting to see what it turns out to be.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:41 PM   #5

Im actually ok with the manual process of it, i feel like Im doin a little more I must say I am lovin my k20d and the auto focus is working quite well for me. It will be a missed feature to not have with the older lenses but My wallet is thanking me.

I am hoping to use these lenses to play around and stock ones till i can get save up for something. possibly the 55-300mm pentax. Ive been hearing good things. Something for some decent wildlife shots

thanks again for the info
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:21 AM   #6

I've owned a K1000 for nearly 30 years...a very good entrance level film camera. All the lenses I used on the K1000 have been used many times on my K10D. They are totally compatible as long as you follow the directions for using manual lenses on a K10D or K20D or any of the other Pentax DSLR's.

Go here to see how to use the manual lenses on a Pentax DSLR........http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:25 PM   #7

Some, maybe a very few, lenses that fitted the K1000 perfectly will jam on a modern Pentax camera. These are lenses made for the Ricoh version of the K mount and may be marked 'PKR'.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hill View Post
Some, maybe a very few, lenses that fitted the K1000 perfectly will jam on a modern Pentax camera. These are lenses made for the Ricoh version of the K mount and may be marked 'PKR'.
John is correct. You can gho here to see how to deal with the problem of the Ricoh mount's pin getting stuck on a Pentax AF mount.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...=ricoh+%3Cspan
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:08 PM   #9

thanks guys, ill look out for that
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:49 PM   #10

There are also some lenses that have an extra long flange that stops one from mounting the lens onto the camera. These can be adapted also - just cut the flange down to the proper size.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote