Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:15 PM   #1

Default A good lense for a good camera

I have narrowed down a selection of lenses... I know that the Pentax K-7 comes with an 18-55mm "kit" lense... thus the 18-55 is sort of taken care for the time being, even though the 18-55 is just a "kit" lense, nothing special.

So, I am planning to pick one of the following:

Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited
Pentax 16-45
Pentax SMC-DA 40mm f-2.8 Limited
Emailing: Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f-2.4 Limited
Tamron AF 90mm f-2.8 Di SP macro (Pentax)

I am inclined to get the 17-70... or the Tamron AF 90 mm BUT, the Pentax 16-45 is 150 euros cheaper, but recommended as a good lens.

Can anyone recommend the best from the choice above? Portraits, landscape, etc. is what I shoot. Thanks for any help you might have to offer. I have already researched the above at Photozone.de.

Thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:23 PM   #2

Are you going to want a true macro lens? If so, then get the Tamron as it's the only macro lens on your list. If doing macro leaves you cold and you don't think you'll want the extra reach, then skip it (it's a brilliant lens, from what I've seen posted here).

I think I'd be more tempted by the 16-45 than the 17-70 - it's less expensive and I've heard of a few having issues with the 17-70. While a number of people have questioned whether their 16-45 is enough better over the kit lens to justify it's higher price, I don't know of anyone who doesn't like theirs.

Any of the Limiteds would be a good buy - the DA 70 Ltd has a large following. Some (who don't need the extra speed of the f1.8 lens) prefer it over the FA 77 Limited, which is supposed to be one of the best lenses Pentax makes, because it has less CA/PF.

Portraits - the DA 70 Ltd.

Landscape - Pentax 16-45 or go really wide with the Sigma 10-20 or the Pentax 12-24 and keep the kit lens.

I'd want the Tamron as I love macro, and it would get you a bit longer lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i would think the kit lens would suffice for the middle ranges at first. i think getting something outside that range would improve your versatility more.

i agree with what mtgal has said. if you plan to do alot of landscapes, get a superwide, the 10-20 overlaps the least with your kit lens. if you plan to do more portraits get the 70 prime. it all depends on what your main priority is. i just think getting a 16-45 or 17-70 is awfully redundant at this point, and i think building your lens collection towards versatility before replacing the kit lens is a better way to go.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:49 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Yeah, that is the point, avoiding redundancy in lenses... however, quality of picture is an issue after having a 28-80 that really never did much in terms of quality. The Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f-2.4 Limited is tempting.

I must say, Photozine.de, it has very, very FEW Pentax lenses that it highly recommends... most lenses have 2 or 3 stars out of five... This bothers me. Does Photozine.de have to "high" standards, or is Pentax, well I won't go down that road. But the lenses I noted above are 4 star... sad that there are hardly or any five star lenses. This is just dealing with Photozine.de... Thanks again.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah, that is the point, avoiding redundancy in lenses... however, quality of picture is an issue after having a 28-80 that really never did much in terms of quality. The Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f-2.4 Limited is tempting.

I must say, Photozine.de, it has very, very FEW Pentax lenses that it highly recommends... most lenses have 2 or 3 stars out of five... This bothers me. Does Photozine.de have to "high" standards, or is Pentax, well I won't go down that road. But the lenses I noted above are 4 star... sad that there are hardly or any five star lenses. This is just dealing with Photozine.de... Thanks again.
Quite a number of Pentax lenses would get a 5 star from me but much like the folks at Photozine.de...I may be prejudiced...LOL
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Quite a number of Pentax lenses would get a 5 star from me but much like the folks at Photozine.de...I may be prejudiced...LOL
Hi Ed! Say, I had a look at the some Canon lenses... Photozine.de seemed to really judge them in the same way as the Pentax lense. I do hear what you say as for how you would give some lenses a 5. Seems a lot of others feel the same way. I wonder if the folks at Photozine.de are just a little too strict.

Hope all is well. Thanks.

Ned