Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:58 PM   #1

Default Pentax 80-320mm & 28-80mm

Hello,
I came across these lenses and was wondering if the were compatable with the K-X and the quality. I can pick them up for 150 out the door used.

Being new to photo, not to sure what to do with them, but it seem like a deal too good to be true. Just want to make sure before jumping the gun.

Patwrik
PATWRIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:38 PM   #2

If it is a pentax auto focus lens, it will work as pentax makes their camera backward compatible with all the auto focus lenses.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:08 PM   #3

Shoturtle's response isn't the whole story. It is correct that any Pentax dSLR camera can use any Pentax auto focus lens, but that implies that the older lens HAS to be auto focus (like Sony cameras can only use Minolta Maxxum lenses, but not the earlier Minolta lenses). Pentax dSLR cameras can use manual focus lenses also. In fact, any K-mount lens Pentax ever made can be used without any adaptor and M42 screw-mount lenses can be used with an adaptor. K-mount lenses retain whatever capability they had originally, so manual focus/manual exposure lenses are still manual focus and manual exposure. Auto exposure/manual focus lenses retain the auto exposure capability.

The 80-320 is an FA lens (Pentax only made one version of this lens), so it would retain it's auto focus/auto exposure capability. Pentax has made a whole bunch of different 28-80 lenses, some manual focus and some auto focus. From what I saw here: http://stans-photography.info/ the reviews of the 80-320 are better than any of the 28-80 lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:09 PM   #4

Hi Patwrik
i have and use the 80-320 lens and an very happy with it
it can give some great results,
i have used it on both an old ist ds and my current k10d with no problems
i have used it with manual and auto focus and on the a setting and also by setting the f stop manually
here a few images with it
80mm

its not really an action lens but did ok

one thing to watch
if the camera is set to manual focus and the lens is pointing down
like if you carry the camera on your shoulder
the lens will wind itself out to its full length
the zoom will wind itself out too
mine cost me about $80AU about 3-4 years ago i think
before older pentax lenses became sought after
there are more images on my site http://www.johndolphin.net/photos
search for 80-320
no spaces
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:57 PM   #5

I have a 28-80... it really has not been the best lens I have ever had. I would not look into purchasing a 28-80... mine is auto/manual... but just don't like the quality of the photo. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:26 AM   #6

Are these Pentax-F, FA, or FAJ lenses? There is a very good lens review page on Pentax lenses here....http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/index.php

I myself prefer the F 35-70 over the 28-80 or 35-80 versions of either F or FA version but the 80- 320 FA is average. Not a total disappointment but Average. If you want some lenses to fill in till you can afford an upgrade to better ones then these will work. They just do not have quite the Wow factor of the Newer DA series or DA* series lenses.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:15 AM   #7

Hi, Ed! Thanks for the info about DA's.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:47 AM   #8

Hi Ned. I use the review I posted before buying any new lens.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:54 PM   #9

Hi PATWRIK,

The FA 80-320 is a pretty good lens. It offers Auto Focus and Auto Exposure control with Pentax DSLRs. I have one, though I now use faster tele primes mostly for birding. KEH (a used camera gear store in GA, USA) is a pretty good indicator of current market price, and their prices for this model have been going up over the past couple of years. When I bought mine about 5 years ago, they were commonly going for about $80-90 USD in EX condition, and now the typical asking price is about $150 for the same condition.

On a different forum long ago, this lens got a distinct reputation because of one shooter whose nic was "bjersey", so it became known as "the bjersey zoom" by forum members. The guy was able to consistently get the very best from this lens, and his bird shots were pretty remarkable. In the intervening time he has switched to just about every DSLR system out there, even coming back to Pentax once or twice.

I still use this lens occasionally as it's my lightest weight 300+mm lens. It's about par with the optical quality with the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro and Tamron 70-300 LD as one of the better inexpensive long tele commercial grade zooms available for Pentax. I think that the price quoted, depending on condition, would be an average/fair deal for this lens alone. I can't speak for the the 28-80, but from other's comments I'd probably pass. It might be worth a try to offer $100 or a little less for the 80-320 alone and see if the seller bites. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:04 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies...I'll take your advice snostorm...See if the seller will bite at a lower price...
PATWRIK is offline   Reply With Quote