Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:26 PM   #1

Default lens buying order for a kx

So I'm contemplating buying a KX, Either the kit with only the 18-55mm lens or both the 18-55 and the 55-300mm lens (not sure if it would be better to get the kit DAL or the DA later on), I'm pretty much a mom who wants to be able to do quality photos of my kids both inside, in front of a backdrop and outside at a park and such. So I'm wondering what lenses you would recommend, for what purposes and in what order? THANKS
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:17 PM   #2

for 700 for the 2 lens kit with the dal 55-300mm it is a bargain for a zoom with that reach. The DA is nicer and better made, but it is 450 down the road. They are pretty close optically speaking. The DAL just do not have as many bells and whistles. The 1 lens kit vs the 2 lens with the 300 is about 120 dollars different. You can always choose to sell it later, and get the DA lens instead. But until then it is a very small price for a good telephoto lens you can use right away.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:39 PM   #3

The kit with the 18-55 and 55-300 is compelling as far as price goes. Quality of lenses are pretty good (they are optically the same as the non-DA-L lenses), especially for the price. Neither lens is very fast - it sounds like you'll most likely want to buy an external flash to help with the indoor kid shots relatively soon (after you've gotten used to the camera with the two lenses and see what the limitations are with the on-board flash).

If you hadn't mentioned the park, I think you might be able to get away with the camera and the 18-55 first, buying the longer lens (DA version) later if you decide you need/want the extra range. But you'd find the 18-55 really short for kids playing in a park, when they are across the playground from where you are.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:54 PM   #4

Ok, so what about after that, . . . I have friends with Canons who love their 50 mm 1.8, and I've heard good things about the 50 mm 1.4, I'd be hoping to get this or another lens next Christmas
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:26 PM   #5

The 50mm 1.8 on the canon is a good little lens, but it is not as good as the canon 50mm 1.4. The pentax 50mm 1.4 is about the same level as the canon 1.4. They are higher grade lens, so they do command a higher grade price.

But lens option is one of the strong suites of canon. They just have the most lenses and have allot of 3rd party lens option also, just remember some are very good, some are not that great. I shoot both canon and pentax on occasions. And the pentax can hang with the canon with the 3 lenses you have mention.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:41 AM   #6

There are lots and lots of lenses that are well worth owning - I have several camera bags full. I've bought them for various reasons (I wanted something wider, so I bought the DA 12-24. I wanted to have fun with distortion so I bought a fisheye. I wanted to shoot insects so I bought a macro. I wanted top quality long lens for birding so I bought one of the *300 lenses). I'm now looking for a replacement for my old kit lens, something between 24 and 50, and can't make up my mind between 3 or 4 different lenses. I'm likely to buy 2 of them (one weather sealed which is high on my list of priorities and the other a high-quality prime lens because I love such lenses and one of them keeps calling my name).

My recommendation is to keep your money for another lens in your bank account for at least a couple of months. Get the camera with two lenses and go out an play. Find out what you can and can't do with what you have BEFORE you buy anything else - you very well may decide that your lenses are fine but you want a flash. The FA 50mm 1.4 lens is an excellent lens. I have an earlier version of the lens (well, two of them - the M 50mm f1.4 and M 50mm f1.7) and they are my LEAST used lenses. The M 50 1.4 gets used more reversed in front of my macro lens than either lens is used regularly. There's no point in investing money into a great lens if you don't use it because it doesn't fit into your life/style/interest, etc.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:40 AM   #7

I too, suggest just going with the kit lenses - they are very good and will hold yo in good stead. Use the camera kit for 6 months or until you understand what you really want to do and your particular interests, and expand your equipment base then - with what you want and actually need.

The two kit lenses are all you might ever need....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:41 PM   #8

Yeah, my current camera has really GREAT macro shooting capabilities, so I'd probably break out my point and shoot if I needed to get any of those sorts of shots, . . . . I'm just trying to find out what is out there, but I do think we are pretty set on getting the kit with the 2 lenses . . . . then another lens come Christmas, I was really just wanting to hear what was out there worth thinking about.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:05 PM   #9

If you want a lens that is close to the your eye's view, the sigma 30mm is a pretty good lens also.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:03 PM   #10

Las-

Start with the two lens kit, and then budget some money for a good external flash. That will move you closer to your stated objectives, rather than a bag of lenses that you don't use very often at all.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote