Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:16 PM   #11

Default kit lense?

Hello all! I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask for some advice on lenses. My husband and I have decided to buy a pentax k-x, but are not sure if we should get the kit with the 18-55 and 55-200 for around $600 or buy the camera with the 18-55 for just under $500 and then buy another good lens. The kit with the 55-300 could be an option, but we don't know if we want to spend that much. We will mainly be taking pictures of our two daughters(age 2 and 5 months). We are always trying to find the best deal for the money. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by thing24; Aug 11, 2010 at 2:19 PM.
thing24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:43 PM   #12

The Pentax 18-55 kit lens is generally regarded as among the best of its type and it's a great starter lens. Adding either the 50-200u or 55-300 as a part of a kit is far and away the cheapest way you'll be able to secure this wide of range. It's a range that should get you through a lot of learning before you start feeling the push for more powerful glass. I have the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, both far more expensive lenses that cover much of the kit lens territory. On a recent trip to Hawaii, the 18-55mm was on my K-7 more than either of the higher dollar lenses.

I have a nephew who recently bought the K-x with the kit lens. A month later, he was headed for the ski slopes in Colorado and wishing he had more reach. Fortunately, he had a kind uncle who would loan him a lens........lol. BTW, he and his wife have a two year old and simply love their K-x.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:39 PM   #13

Well, maybe the kit with the 50-200 is the way to go. Seems to be a good price at $606. We keep thinking they will lower the price since pentax is going to be bringing out a new camera. They just lowered the price at a few places for the camera with the 18-55, but not for the kit. Maybe we should wait a few days to see if the price drops. Thanks for the advice, Paul. We look forward to taking some pics with our k-x.

Holly
Old Aug 11, 2010, 8:06 PM   #14

I saw this a few days ago on another thread here on Steve's. I would go call Adorama get their prices then down to Goodwill and buy the cheapest camera they had - $1. This may bring the price down to your comfort level.

"Adorama and Pentax is running a promotion 50 dollars off either 55-300, and 100 dollar off a dslr when you trade in old digital camera working or not. So you can get 150 dollars off a kit. From Aug 1-15 only by phone or instore orders only."

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:37 PM   #15

Thanks. I'll call Adorama tomorrow! Can't beat that deal. I actually read about that deal too, but I thought it was either $50 off the lens or $100 off a camera. I didn't realize you could get $150 off the kit.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:33 PM   #16

I talked to somebody from Adorama today. They are going to get me the pentax kx 50-200 kit for $150 off. I just have to send them an old digital camera first. He assured me that even if the old camera doesn't get there until after the 15th, I'll still get the deal. So I guess we will be getting our camera sometime next week. He has put one on hold for me. Just have to wait until they get our old camera before they send the k-x. If this deal works out with Adorama, I'll be recommending them to everyone! Can't wait to start taking pics with our K-X! Now I just have to figure out what accessories we will need.

Holly
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:44 PM   #17

congrats, I deal with adorama all the time, they have great customer service. It is always a pleasure to deal with them.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:08 AM   #18

Morning Holly,

Wonderful news and congratulations with the camera deal!!! Adorama is a wonderful retailer - I have used them and everything has always gone perfectly.

I think the KX 50-200 kit is a great starting point.

I would not go out and go broke with accessories. All you need to start out is...
  • SD card - a 4GB class 10 should be fine. Do not buy them off of ebay. There are fakes everywhere, so look for a good price, with a good brand, from a good retailer. SanDisk, Transcend, Kingston, PQI, are all good. Adorama and B&H are both excellent retailers.
  • http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...S_10_SDHC.html

The only other item is maybe a bag (or a large purse, etc.) . You really need to figure out what would work best for you.

Indoor shooting is always a challenge, especially with light. Turn on a lot of lights and give it a try (with a high iso speed - which makes the sensor much more sensitive, however since it becomes so much more sensitive, it also records noise. So its always a battle here). The other approach is a flash, and that would be the province of others like mtnclimber who wrote the book. I would try it first with what you have and figure out what you want to do from that point on.

Here is the flash thread from mtnclimber (or Sara) - for reference...

Last edited by interested_observer; Aug 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:14 AM   #19

if you do plan on shooting video, get a 8gb class 6. As video eats up allot of memory
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:20 AM   #20

the 18-55 is the most bang for the buck at those focal ranges...still use mine every week even though I have many other lens. The 55-300 would be the logical addition to this in my opinion. Both will do 90 percent of what most anyone would need to begin in Digital photography.