Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:04 PM   #11

The reason I ask is that a few on the amazon link are selling the lens cheaper but say that the lens was taken out of the K7 kit bundle. About $30 cheaper but would be willing to pay the extra if the lens is better quality.
maverick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:55 PM   #12

I would be really careful about the one that supposedly was bundled with the K7 - the buyer claims it was from a K7 kit but he specifically says it's a DA-L. So most likely it's a Kx kit. I don't think Pentax ever marketed the K7 with the DA 55-300, but I could be wrong about that - they did market it with the WR lenses at one point, though I don't see it listed with both of them at the moment. If you don't mind the DA-L lens, then it might be an idea (getting the optics of the DA 55-300 without fewer features). They did seem to be significantly cheaper.

Before you order, clarify the warranty issue. If it was taken out of a camera kit, would you be considered the first owner, and would you have a warranty? Bahadir's first lens, the one he returned, was a DA-L lens. That's not to say just because you get the regular version of the DA 55-300 that you'll automatically get a good one - my first one was defective, but replaced under warranty with a very nice one. I would not want to buy a lens (of any brand) without a warranty.

By the way, when I bought my K10 it included a kit lens that I already had. The camera shop said they had to charge me for the kit, then "buy" back the kit lens - it wasn't legal for them to sell the kit lens as "new", only as "used" because it wasn't sold to them as a separate item. Don't know if that's true or not, but something to think about when pricing it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
The reason I ask is that a few on the amazon link are selling the lens cheaper but say that the lens was taken out of the K7 kit bundle. About $30 cheaper but would be willing to pay the extra if the lens is better quality.
How much is peace of mind worth to you? It is worth a lot to me when I spend $50 dollars or more on anything. Go with a reputable dealer and get a warranty for any lens above $50 dollars. I do a LOT of buying of used lens and even when folks are 100% honest in what they post you can still get a bad lens. Without the warranty you most times have no recourse but getting it fixed yourself or tossing it in the trash bin. This is one lesson you need to learn when buying on Ebay...Yes you can do arbitration but that is sometimes a long drawn out process with no assurance you will win out....with a warranty Pentax will gladly swap a defective lens for a new well tested one....GET THE WARRANTY!!! Thirty dollars is very little for the peace of mind a warranty will give you!!