Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:38 PM   #31

And yes, a good tripod - the one that will last a long time and do the job right - is expensive. Cheap ones end up costing you more in the long run - when you discover the cheapy isn't steady enough, when the slightly more expensive one breaks, when you find the next one, a sturdy but heavy one, gathering dust because it's too heavy to carry far, then you'll realize you'd save money by buying a good one in the beginning.[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh. I've bot two tripods now and hate them. I went back to using the one that was given to me 6 years ago, a nice Bogen. I like it except its ability to rotate the camera 90 degrees. Nothings perfect and my money is limited.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:42 PM   #32

JC,

I second that in getting a good tripod. Bogen are nice, so or sliks and cullmann's and will not break the bank like the bogen. Get one that can be a gounder also.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 8, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC de Jonge View Post
I do have some lcd cleaning cloths.. I think I can use those also. When the aperture is set to 22 the blades open up very smooth en fast, though I don't have experience, I believe that should be ok. Also I don't see any scratches whatsoever so that's nice. However I do believe there is some dust within the lens...that isn't really harmful is it?

Thanks again for your replies
Carlo,
Some dust within a lens is inevitable over time, especially a zoom lens, since as it extends and retracts it has to allow some ingress of air into the interior else it wouldnt be able to function, minor amounts of dust shouldn't affect picture quality to any great degree.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:05 PM   #34

A little dust isn't a big deal normally. Just make sure it is dust and not fungus, which is a problem. I've had no experience with fungus so I'm not a good one to answer the question "how do you tell what is a bit of dust and what's the start of fungus".
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:16 AM   #35

There are just some minuscule spots within the lens so I believe it's only dust. btw the pictures I take with the lens seem very clear so that's ok I guess. I ordered a lens pen to clean up my lenses, I read they are quite functional and do the job they're supposed to.
Today I played around with another lens I got with the package, the Panagor 80-200 1:3.8 which I believe also goes under the name Krion 80-200 f4 (yes I know the aperture differ but the f4 was tested to be able to do 3.8 also) and it gives nice results. I also tried it in combination with the teleconverter and I was able to make some nice macro pictures with more freedom because of the dof. Would it be better to use extension rings/tubes with the lens or just the teleconverter?
One final question The other lens I got with the package (a Beroflex 300 1:5.6) has some smudges on the rear lens glass, however it is on the other side of the glass (inside the lens) som I'm not able to clean it. Or there any options e.g. open op the lens or something to clean it?
(edit) I made up my mind about the tripod, I will be going for the Cullmann Nanomax 260.. I believe it's the most versatile and best build tripods in that price range.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:54 PM   #36

As far as what to use with what - try it all and see what results you get with all combinations. The only combination I haven't tried is my macro lens with the 50mm reversed and the extension tube - figure I have virtually no space between the front element and the subject with the lens reversed, adding the extension tube would make it impractical. Otherwise, I've used the extension tube with various lenses, tried the lens reversed with a couple of different lenses etc. It's fun to experiment and you'll get a much better idea of what does what.

There are ways to open up and clean lenses - I've just never tried it. Some lenses are harder than others. Do the smudges affect quality? I wouldn't worry about a couple of miniscule spots of dust, especially if it doesn't make a difference with quality. Roy, who's been ill, once posted pictures taken with a 300 mm lens that looked like someone cleaned it with a brick - the front element was horribly scratched. He took some really outstanding pictures with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:15 PM   #37

Indeed it's a lot of fun to try it all out
UNfortunately the smudges affect quality very badly... it is like there is some sort of fog on the pictures... maybe I'll just try to open up the lens (it's more or less given to me for free so I don;t really mind) any ways to do this?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:26 PM   #38

K-mount lenses have a number of springs behind the electrical contacts, which are easily lost, as are the little balls which make the contacts. The iris also has a return spring.
How the lens is disassembled depends on who made it, and when. Older lenses will almost always require a specialized lens wrench. Some newer ones can be disassembled with screwdrivers. If you are very mechanically inclined, and don't think you have anything to lose, it may be worthwhile.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:45 AM   #39

I managed to get the dirty glass out, it seemed there was some kind of extension tube at the beginning of the lens which was easily screwed off after dismounting the tripod mount..
However the glass seems to have some limestone so now I let some chemicals work on it.. and hopefully the glass will be clean again.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:38 AM   #40

Even though the smudges seem to persist, the picture quality seems to have improved anyway.
The first picture is before cleaning, the second after cleaning
(don't mind the pictures on itself.. the focus is a bit off etc )
Attached Images

Last edited by JC de Jonge; Apr 12, 2010 at 7:43 AM.
JC de Jonge is offline   Reply With Quote